Martin Holmes, 1940-2020, RIP.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Mr Martin Holmes, journalist, author, photographer, rally co-driver/navigator, curator, teacher. 1940-2020. RIP and thank you.

MH-SM-OWSS-1.JPG
MH-SM-OWSS-2.JPG

Mr Martin Holmes and Mr Shekhar Mehta outside Old Woking Service Station in early 1973, alongside works rally car 'TKS 33 SA 7922', which Tony Fall had used on the 1972 RAC Rally and which Shekhar and co-driver Geraint Phillips would crash so dramatically on the Rallye Du Maroc in May.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Gosh, sad indeed - he really was a giant.

He was actively involved to the very end from what I know. A great man.

Having older parents, 80 doesn’t seem that old these days. [emoji848]

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Oh didn't realise he'd died. I used to see him a lot on Motoring News Road Rallies. Also met him in Corsica in 2003 when over there for the WRC. Only a few weeks ago my daughter bought me this book.

20200424_184146.jpg

He always seemed to be 'around' and was a very experienced navigator and journalist. He must have navigated for scores of drivers and been in a huge variety of cars (including a Clan Crusader and he was a tall guy). I wonder what he thought of the Datsun?

The rallying fraternity have lost a 'kingpin'.

AD240Z

Club Member
My dad was a big rally fan and motorclub member - and my interest in our cars came partly from him and a picture he had in a book of a 240z , I think in the East African safari rally .

My dad passed away earlier this year and when sorting his effects I cam across Martin Holmes book on Rally Navigation . This picture was in the book .

I spent many a happy hour with my dad watching rallies as a boy - it brought back a few memories .

sadzed.jpg

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
The internet is amazing, isn't it? Less than an hour after I posted these two photos on here - in memoriam - the exact same two are up on a certain person's Facebook group without credit or the supporting story. No wonder nobody knows anything anymore.

yellowz

Club Member
I just thought it was testament to the car that it could still drive with all those dents and pull a car out!

AD240Z

Club Member
When I found the book - i was interested in the event outcome and came across this amateur video on the North East Film Archive

http://www.yorkshirefilmarchive.com/film/control-ahead

Hannu Mikkola (No.1 ) came second after ( according to the amatuer film commentary ) he had an off and fought his way up from 50+th place.

I found this other picture online with no other context .

Scottish73-MikkolaMehta.jpg

I looked on the video for the Z but think there was a slight glimpse through another car - but no feature .

These two appear - which I assume were the support cars ( @ about 2:10 on the video)

IMG_2574.PNG

IMG_2575.PNG

Interesting ending . Roger Clark won and was delighted to win a Marina car as a prize !!

Commentry states he had trouble driving it away as it was an automatic....

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
On one of the 'Old Woking' pics I can see an unusual headlight bucket with a groove which I assume is for headlight adjustment?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
On one of the 'Old Woking' pics I can see an unusual headlight bucket with a groove which I assume is for headlight adjustment?

Works modification. They built them to enable the complete headlamp unit to be extracted - and replaced - through the front of the car rather than from under the arch. Quicker and easier in service, and not getting in the way of anyone working on front suspension/brakes.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Works modification. They built them to enable the complete headlamp unit to be extracted - and replaced - through the front of the car rather than from under the arch. Quicker and easier in service, and not getting in the way of anyone working on front suspension/brakes.

Which IMO should have been standard. Thanks Alan.

The internet is amazing, isn't it? Less than an hour after I posted these two photos on here - in memoriam - the exact same two are up on a certain person's Facebook group without credit or the supporting story. No wonder nobody knows anything anymore.

I did think that when I saw them.