Market value of L28 engine?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I'm looking for opinions on the current market value of an L28 'long block'.

It's an N42 block / N42 head combination, never rebuilt, pretty much complete except for inlet & exhaust manifolds ( and all the injection gubbins.... ). Grubby and cobwebby but basically sound, stored without coolant ( clean waterways ) and a good base for a complete stripdown and rebuild.

My opinion is that a good used N42 L28 as a base for a build is not all that easy to come by in the UK these days, and that it should therefore command a price that reflects the fact. I've had a couple of people asking me for L28s who seem to think they should be small change ( one guy wanted change out of £50...!!! ) . Needless to say they appear to be still looking. Maybe they'll be lucky...?

What does the zeitgeist say this engine in my garage should be worth?

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
I might be off here but

N42 head and block, unmolested.......sound base for either a nice "standard" build, or a more potent setup, has to be a minimum of £200 (collect) any day of the week, at the end of the day an unmolested N42 head will set anyone back £100+ on its own

Plus the pedigree of the source has additional benefits

Last edited by a moderator:

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
Well I happily paid £300 for my spare 2.8 N42 engine, I'll be doing something with it next year hopefully.

Rob

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
Around the £250-£300 mark is about right, Alan, though it has to be said that they are becoming harder to come by all the time. Not too many 280ZX's left nowadays.

tel240z

Club Member
Supply and demand springs to mind, if its as clean as you say and is needed for a large bore then got to be 500 quid

slaphead

Club Member
Given that a 280z engine has just gone on Fleabay for 80 quid - I would say it is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it frankly. :unsure:

zedboy

Club Member
I paid £52 for an engine and gearbox (2 years ago). Mark Rayner:bow: found it on ebay for me - they had spelt Nissan wrong though - so maybe it was a lucky find!;);)

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for all replies and feedback.

To be frank, I'd rather scrap this engine than sell it to some bottom-feeder for peanuts. Some say that the market will decide, but it won't on this particular engine as I don't have to sell it for less than I want for it....

Thanks all.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
So what did you pay for it Alan?

That's the criteria I use when selling something. I buy cheap but sell cheap too.

How much would you pay for the same engine - and be honest with yourself. Then use that as your figure otherwise you will think you're selling cheap - but be prepared to still have it around.

I hope this wasn't just an advert.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
So what did you pay for it Alan?

Hard to say, as it bought it with a garage-full of other items. One price for the whole lot, and not "cheap". At least in my opinion.

Rob Gaskin said:
I hope this wasn't just an advert.

No it wasn't a bloody advert. If it was I would have put it in the Classifieds section, worded it differently and put a price on it.

How is anybody supposed to discuss such things without being accused of "advertising"?

Wes

Well-Known Forum User
I had a L28 P90 engine advertised a little while back, completely stripped and in good condition. I couldn't get £50 for it in the end and so It was scrapped.

Wes