Lugnut torque for Minilite Mag wheels?

Kerrigan

Well-Known Forum User
What is the correct tightening torque (ft lbs) for 1976 Minilite Mag wheels on the 1971 FairladyZ?

Thank you.

amocrace

Well-Known Forum User
if they are Magnesium minlites from 1976 they should be in the bin or trash can to our Atlantic cousins.

Kerrigan

Well-Known Forum User
Great wheels, look super and never a problem. No hairline cracks, nothing.
But then again I don't abuse or race the car ...

Torque is 60 lbs by the by ...

if they are Magnesium minlites from 1976 they should be in the bin or trash can to our Atlantic cousins.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User

Oop's, there's one cousin you won't be hearing from;)
For the record I used mag minilites on my SSS rally car. Never gave me any problems except that if it had ever caught fire I probably would'nt be able to put it out.

amocrace

Well-Known Forum User
minilites own information years ago was don't use wheels over 5 years old (they were discussing rally use mind) as the material starts to degenerate and can cause failures. I worked in a tuning shop at the time and we were minilite dealers. Chris Sclater had to retire from an RAC rally due to multiple wheel failures using s/hand minlites. On the other hand they were in the business of selling wheels.Read into it what you will but the advice given to dealers was a 5 year life span! Made them bloody expensive!

Kerrigan

Well-Known Forum User
This set is 36 years old with about 50k miles on them and look new.
No cracks, no scuffs ... but then again they are on a show car which isn't driven much and never raced.

I was offered a lot of money for them and told they can bring upward of $1000 each from a collector.

Have thought about purchasing a new set of similar non-mag Minilite but can't seem to get any reply from Minilite or their US "dealer". Then I would just put these in the heated shed and run a fresh set of Bridgestones.

minilites own information years ago was don't use wheels over 5 years old (they were discussing rally use mind) as the material starts to degenerate and can cause failures. I worked in a tuning shop at the time and we were minilite dealers. Chris Sclater had to retire from an RAC rally due to multiple wheel failures using s/hand minlites. On the other hand they were in the business of selling wheels.Read into it what you will but the advice given to dealers was a 5 year life span! Made them bloody expensive!

Kerrigan

Well-Known Forum User
Reply from Minilite

Sent photos to the American distributor for Minilite. He says after examining them they are most likely the alloy version of the mag wheels so not a problem.
He also said they should have lug nuts torqued to 70-80 ft lbs, not the 60 specified in the Nissan shop manual.
He may also still be able to get the rare washer/nut set for the lugs!