Lowering a 260z 2+2

andrew muir

Club Member
The other week I noticed a small oil weep from front passenger strut.
As I am going to replace the strut would like to get the car lowered 25-30mm at the same time, I don't want it to look too obvious but want it to roll less and look better.
Will be used 90% of time on bumpy public roads, and odd track sessions.
It is on standard whells but looking to change to 15" 205/60 profile tyres.
I know this been discussed before but,

What are the options I have for springs and struts?

What will be the side effects from lowering this small amount and how to minimise these?

What is the recommended offset for 15" 7inch wide rims on a 260z 2+2

Ta in advance
Andrew :thumbs:

datsfun

Club Member
It is on standard whells but looking to change to 15" 205/60 profile tyres.
I know this been discussed before but,

What are the options I have for springs and struts?

A) complete 2.25" coilover system.

+ve full height and damping adjustment -ve cost

B) shorter springs + uprated inserts
+ve off the shelf availability, cheaper than A
-ve too many horror stories about springs early Vs late and chances of getting them right first time is slim after reading some experiences on here
-ve may only work out a few ££ cheaper than option A in the end?

C) Shorter springs + standard inserts
+ve much cheaper than A and B
-ve same -ves as in B above
-ve handling will not be as great as A or B but still miles better than factory

What will be the side effects from lowering this small amount and how to minimise these?

You will only want to go lower later..:devil:

What is the recommended offset for 15" 7inch wide rims on a 260z 2+2

Zero offset will fill arches easy on 7J.

why not 8j? :eek:

andrew muir

Club Member
A) complete 2.25" coilover system.

B) shorter springs + uprated inserts
+ve off the shelf availability, cheaper than A
-ve too many horror stories about springs early Vs late and chances of getting them right first time is slim after reading some experiences on here
-ve may only work out a few ££ cheaper than option A in the end?

What do you meen by "Horror stories" are the springs no good etc??
I was also wanting to know what the effects will be on geometry etc
Andrew

Mr.F

Inactive
too many horror stories

'73 / '74 260Zs have a unique set-up on the 2 seater model. The only "horror story" I can think of has, as far as I am aware, been sorted out.
The 2+2 uses a different set-up having the later, fatter struts from 1973 onwards.
Patterns for 2+2 springs are established and have been supplied successfully for a number of cars...

Call to discuss a custom spring / Tokico HP option...

andrew muir

Club Member
Will do Mike
I like the idea of the Iluminas but the wallet says no so the HP's look like a good compromise.
What will l;owering do to the geometary, don't want to upset the camber et too much.
And also will the car suffer from more bumpsteer etc?
I don't want the suspension to be rock hard, have seen a few cars with **** handling due to suspension being rock hard. Roads round here are pretty bumpy.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
'73 / '74 260Zs have a unique set-up on the 2 seater model. The only "horror story" I can think of has, as far as I am aware, been sorted out

Mike, sorry for not keeping you up to date on the spring situation but the last set of springs I received left the car sitting higher than stock on both the front and rear. Rather than continuing the saga I decided to wait until the car is completed before sorting the ride height out; as the last set of springs was progressive there is more than enough free length to cut them down to where I need them to be while maintaining compression with the car up in the air.

datsfun

Club Member
'73 / '74 260Zs have a unique set-up on the 2 seater model. The only "horror story" I can think of has, as far as I am aware, been sorted out.
The 2+2 uses a different set-up having the later, fatter struts from 1973 onwards.
Patterns for 2+2 springs are established and have been supplied successfully for a number of cars...

Call to discuss a custom spring / Tokico HP option...

Yes but we have instances where the struts on the car arent necessarily those mounted when it left the production line?? I am not aware of how original the OP's car is but seen instances where struts have been swapped during previous restos..;)

andrew muir

Club Member
Pretty sure my car has the original standard struts springs, it only had 48,000 miles on the clock when I got it, and I have full history and no receipts for struts etc.

andrew muir

Club Member
Just wondered if this will work ok?
Tokico HP shocks on a 260z 2+2 with standard 2+2 springs.
Going to cut half turn off springs to lower slightly and raise spring rate slightly?
Will this work out.
Don't want suspension too hard as bumpy roads up here.
Cheers:thumbs:

Mr.F

Inactive
what's different about them that makes them unique?

The lower spring pan was dropped relative to the position on a 240Z, making the springs longer for comparable rate.

2+2 had the long springs and fatter shocks from the start in the U.K.

andrew muir

Club Member
Well, fitted new Tokico HP shocks yesterday.
Had to go conservative with the lowering as the bump stops had all but disintegrated.
Front lowered by 1.5cm 75% of a coil cut from spring.
Rear lowered by 1.0cm 75% of a coil cut from spring.
Just under 15cm from the chassis rail to ground.

What a bitch the rear spindle was to get out, it had some corrosion and needed to be hammered out, took about 30mins to get out!! another hour to repair the end with a grinder and threadfile, the other side we took the easier option of undoing the inside mounts much easier.

Anyway need to know the alignment specs for a 260z 2+2 and what adjustements are availiable if any?

Car feels much better to drive soaks up little bumps better and does not wallow and roll as when pushing on a fast sweeper.

How important are the bump stops?
Will it be ok as long as I don't go crazy?
:cheers:

andrew muir

Club Member
Not at the moment Ian
Old ones seem to work fine all have new drop link bushes etc.
Handles nice now.
Just a bitch getting those spindles out.

Mr.G

Club Member
Uprated anti roll bars made a huge difference on my car, thanks to Mr.F who supplied them, a doddle to fit too.

andrew muir

Club Member
Got new springs but no documentation.
Spring lengths are the same 11.75 inches but 2 springs have 7 active coils the other 2 have only 5.5 active coils.
The less coils will give me more travel but higher rate am I right?
So which go on the front and which on the rear?
This for a 260 2+2 which was to be lowered 30mm from stock.
Cheers
Andrew:thumbs:

andrew muir

Club Member
Not really Rob the old springs look about the same with the rears a little longer.
I am thinking the stiffer spring should go on the rear not sure though.
Waiting for Mr Feeney to respond:D

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
If you got them from Mike then the springs should have a little 'F' for front and 'R' for rear marked on them somewhere, unless they forgot to do that before they sent them!