Low power wiper motor

Ian

Club Member
Recently my window wipers have been having trouble moving over the screen, even when wet.

Is this like to be because it needs a new motor or is it caused by something else?

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
just a guess but i would say check the spindle bearings are free and not binding/seizing.
also check all the linkages are free and not binding/seizing.
also check your earths and check your getting full voltage to the wiper motor.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I agree with Jimbo.

The wipers are pretty slow to start with but if they have got slower then you are in a desperate situation.

Often the spindles wear and get sloppy but if yours are tight they may be seizing. If that's the case try oiling them.

The first joint/bearing in the linkage is quite complicated and has a spring which often breaks, that may be 'caught-up' .

http://zclub.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24037

A man of your nature may want to try the Honda Civic Wiper Motor upgrade that some US guys have done. Not straightforward but well within your capabilities I'm sure.

Ian

Club Member
I tried it with the engine running and it works just about ok then, the extra two volts seem to give it just enough power to function.

I will look a the parts mentioned and make sure they are all good and try to find a refurbished motor, or as Rob suggested the Honda upgrade, this is something need to look into.

Ian

Club Member
Ian

I have a spare wiper mech if you need it ( no motor just the mech )
Thanks, I'll try to have a look this week and see what mine is like.

The Honda "upgrade" is quite simple really. I have one made up ready to fit.
I haven't had a chance to look into it yet, how much work/how long did it take?

You got the wiring sorted already?