Lovely looking red 260Z 2x seater

atomman

Club Member
Has the owner fitted the US spec over riders ? or did we get them on 260z over here and I have just never seen them ?

Last edited:

status

Well-Known Forum User
Most 260zs over here have had the carbs changed to the 240 z carbs and the 289 zx electronic ignition,was standard practice back in the 80 s and 90 s as it was a cheap and tried and trusted upgrade in the 260 Z as for the over riders I think they was mainly for the us market but you could put them on a Uk car,I’ve actually got a pair of front ones that I’ll probably sell .The 260 in question is up for strong money in my opinion as it would have to be absolutely mint plus it’s a dealer trying to offload it by the looks of it posibly on a commision basis so depending how perfect you want it I’d say there is room for a decent bit of negotiation,looks a nice car

status

Well-Known Forum User
I’d put that sort of price on it now Rob but then in the flesh it’s totally different probably

toon_herit

Club Member
In the interest of following guidelines at this moment, I had a friend in the trade go down and look it over and a test drive this week. Everything seems as genuine as can be determined for a car over 40 years old. Obviously a couple of things need detailing, and a professional body/paint expert to get the best out of the existing paint and preserve as is. It helps that it’s been stored for many years and also having been rustproofed from new (I had a 1976 TR7 which had been ziebarted from new and was surprisingly rust free for 40 years old as well when I sold it).

status

Well-Known Forum User
Did your mate get it up in the air and on the ramps to have a proper look and sitting there all this time doesn’t do it much good as things like water pump might need changing which is no deal breaker brakes might need attention and that’s just a starter for ten really,not mega expensive but all those little jobs all add up and cost money and when you start talking paint you are talking a lot of money to have it sorted properly so the 25 k it sold at auction was probably a little overpriced then I think if we think real world,it’ll still be there in six months time if things stay the way they are unless someone comes up with the asking price I’d go and make a bid 20k from wot I see and hear about it And I don’t think that’s out of the way considering it’s not perfect

toon_herit

Club Member
So is this yours now then toon?
I’ve purchased it and will be getting collected next week. A company I’ve dealt with for many years, and are just completing a restoration of my 1954 Triumph TR2, will be giving it a detailed going over and I’ll get whatever sorted.
Probably cheaper ones will come around, but ticked all the right boxes for me and come at the right time; and one which will be a keeper, but get some use.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Looks a nice car and as I said the bits that might need attention ie brakes and water pump are not deal breakers but I would change the pump because if it’s been standing for a long time it will let go on you while your out and about in it for an hours worth of labour it’s a job worth doing

toon_herit

Club Member
Looks a nice car and as I said the bits that might need attention ie brakes and water pump are not deal breakers but I would change the pump because if it’s been standing for a long time it will let go on you while your out and about in it for an hours worth of labour it’s a job worth doing
Brakes have been done, but will check everything properly when back in the garage. All the rubber seems good as well, so hopefully that means it’s been stored in the right conditions, but will take note of changing the pump, cheers.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Looks very nice to me toon - would be interested to see some detailed pics of it when you get it home ... I prefer the original look cars.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah it’s only an hours work and for wot it costs it’s well worth it as it rots from the inside out rather than the other way,another good upgrade is the bushes,all the little things all add up to make it just that little bit better
Enjoy