Love em or loathe em, good to watch

richiep

Club Member
He actually did it one of the neatest ways - with a fill-in/strengthening strip between the skins. Lots of people just hack them out and weld the two skins directly together...

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've watched most of the videos and tbh it doesn't bother me if he cuts the arches out because the car is a patchwork. He is doing the sort of work I did on my track car and so anything goes if you can do it yourself.

There is no way I would have cut the arches on my standard car or my current blue car.

So what I am saying is - the decision depends on the car as a whole.

richiep

Club Member
The other thing that occurs based on the video - if you do a neat enough job of cutting the back arches, there’s nothing to stop them being welded back on further down the line. Not the easiest exercise, but not impossible and front wings can be replaced obviously.

Ultimately, it’s a period correct mod encouraged by Nissan themselves (they sold the arches after all). People can get precious about it; even I’ve wobbled as the arches on my project are excellent - but I have a specific goal in mind and the flares are integral to that. I’ll post pics when I get the reciprocating saw out...

The other thing that occurs based on the video - if you do a neat enough job of cutting the back arches, there’s nothing to stop them being welded back on further down the line. Not the easiest exercise, but not impossible and front wings can be replaced obviously.

Ultimately, it’s a period correct mod encouraged by Nissan themselves (they sold the arches after all). People can get precious about it; even I’ve wobbled as the arches on my project are excellent - but I have a specific goal in mind and the flares are integral to that. I’ll post pics when I get the reciprocating saw out...

Was there a factory method for doing it? Like a race kit manual way?

richiep

Club Member
That’s defo a question for Alan! I’d be interested to know the answer too actually. Of course, the ZGs left the factory with their arches intact under the overfenders; but worth knowing how Nissan works teams did it.

As for the way Jeff did it in that video, it is very similar to the way Datsun Dave’s car was done (by the same body shop that painted my FairladyZ). Very neat and strong.

PeterAllen

Well-Known Forum User
The other thing that occurs based on the video - if you do a neat enough job of cutting the back arches, there’s nothing to stop them being welded back on further down the line. t...

Someone on AusZcar offered to buy the lips but Jeff said they would remain with the car for any future owner who may wish to return the car to OEM specs.

I originally thought the videos cringeworthy but I must say I've warmed to them .. somewhat.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I can imagine those 'lips' would have cost a fair bit as well had he sold them, as original rust-free replacements for rusty rear arches just don't exist ... !