Lots of details about this restored 240Z that I dislike...

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
the overly quilted tunnel trim? Like a North london sex club?

I wouldn't know - I'm from 'sowf lonnon' !

Just for starters :

the freen grille
the caravan mirrors
the 4x4 ride-height whilst still managing to drag a saggy rear end
the green rear light surrounds
the black windscreen wiper arms and blades with ACMEinc wind-deflectors
the green-oversprayed wiring bundle ahead of the coil
the black-painted airboc
the balck paint on the bonnet lock plare
the lack of freash-air 'elbows' to each air-tube
the odd-coloursed plug-leads
the presence still of the OEM EGR and pollution kit
the new and old brake fluid reservoirs
the rear carpeting
the smooth leather seats with no grilles and hug gaps between seat and back

uk66fastback

Club Member
Front suspension rubber grommets missing, black-painted under bonnet light, original braided hoses which are no doubt frayed, black-painted throttle control bar ... again, it’s the detail within engine bay where the money will need to be spent on this one. Seats and quilted tunnel are personal taste ...

I like the wheels though and even the side strips are okay ...

AD240Z

Club Member
Trying to be objective.

I think by the title and the long list of negatives - subjective is the word . Objective would be less of a personal opinion , and a more unbiased view ,IMO.

When I look at the car - there’s nothing really stand out wrong with it (price maybe ) , but the combination of some of the detail does put me off it.

Amongst all that detail , it’s Funny how annoying I find the odd plug lead ......

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I think by the title and the long list of negatives - subjective is the word . Objective would be less of a personal opinion , and a more unbiased view ,IMO.

When I look at the car - there’s nothing really stand out wrong with it (price maybe ) , but the combination of some of the detail does put me off it.

Amongst all that detail , it’s Funny how annoying I find the odd plug lead ......

Exactly, trying to have a less personalised vision as regards the exhaust at least.:D A lot of detail can easily be fixed if the selling price is revised but I couldn't live long with that rear carpeting.:rolleyes: And I'll bet that this has the stock US 4spd and 3.36 diff, no anti-roll bar etc, etc !

Mark N

Club Member
They are certainly asking a high price for what they are describing as a partial restoration.
Is it expensive to register an imported car in Germany with the TÜV requirements?

AD240Z

Club Member
Exactly, trying to have a less personalised vision as regards the exhaust at least.:D A lot of detail can easily be fixed if the selling price is revised but I couldn't live long with that rear carpeting.:rolleyes: And I'll bet that this has the stock US 4spd and 3.36 diff, no anti-roll bar etc, etc !

:D. It would be a different car with a z story exhaust ....

The listing does lack a bit of detail and it would be a pass for me at that cost - putting it to my own personal taste .

Talking of which - not a z, but this was on eBay this week .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303751748805

If only it had metal flake/ glitter paint .

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
They are certainly asking a high price for what they are describing as a partial restoration.
Is it expensive to register an imported car in Germany with the TÜV requirements?
No....Portugal is the country that charges a fortune in import tax.

I don't see it as a partial-restoration ; that is a euphenism for a dress-up to sell for a huge margin.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
:D. It would be a different car with a z story exhaust ....

The listing does lack a bit of detail and it would be a pass for me at that cost - putting it to my own personal taste .

Talking of which - not a z, but this was on eBay this week .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303751748805

If only it had metal flake/ glitter paint .

Plenty of exhaust choices out there for all tastes and especially budgets.

Is that Spikes' Healey ?:D

But forget that - buy this : https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1288116

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
its far from the worse/most offensive listed for sale. At least its honest. More than can be said for some.

There's questionable taste everywhere. Live and let live.

And we're here discussing, peacefully.

Honest ?

In the early 1960s the German designer Graf Goertz had the courage to approach Datsun. The goal was to develop a sports coupe primarily for the US market.

He had proven his knack for exciting design with the BMW 507.

Unfortunately, before he could finish, his contract with Datsun expired but he was still able to define the most significant design elements.

The model was an instant success in the US, also because of its attractive price of $3,526.

In Europe, however, the Datsun 240Z never made a real mark, partially because of its fairly high price at DM 17,600.

Our Datsun 240Z Coupe was initially released in the US. Its mileage of 80,000 miles is credible.

The oldtimer is partially restored and registered in Germany.

This coupé is fresh, timeless and offers infinite driving fun!

An alternative ? :

In the early 1960s the German designer Albrecht Goertz had the temerity to approach Nissan. His goal was to earn a commission helping them produce cars primarily destined foir the export markets, giving an occidental point of view.

He had proven his knack for exciting design with the BMW 507 but also his ignorance of production-design - the 507 along with the later CRL311 Silvia (and the Toyota 2000GT ?) was too expensive to sell competitively.

Fortunately, before he could influence Nissan too much with his designs, his informal-contract with Nissan expired but he left a legacy of using scale clay models upon which to develop any car design in 3D.

The all-Nissan model was an instant success in the important JDM and sales began in earnest in their biggest export market - the USA because of its attractive price of $3,526 and full specification.

In Europe, despite import quotas, high tarifs and no offcial Nissan presence (relying more upon national private franchises, the Datsun 240Z became a familiar site on the toughest rallies and has become the very desirable car it is today.

Our Datsun 240Z was initially released in the US. Its mileage of 80,000 miles is credible - proof available upon request.

This coupé is partially restored , registered in Germany and offers infinite driving fun whether left as is or improved fo historic sporting events.

I wasn't on about the design history. I'm on about the car, this model isn't claiming to be anything 'special' its honest about what it is, the pictures are honest, the seller seems honest, all of which are harder to find than not.

AD240Z

Club Member
I don’t see the point of all the background info. on historical design issues etc. In a sales listing .

I can do my own research on that.

I want to know about the car. Id rather see a seller include factual info on the car - mechanical history , modifications , non- original parts etc.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I don’t see the point of all the background info. on historical design issues etc. In a sales listing .

I can do my own research on that.

I want to know about the car. Id rather see a seller include factual info on the car - mechanical history , modifications , non- original parts etc.
Agreed - if I'm looking at the advert, it's because I know what I'm looking for OR, I like it and curious before I buy so I look up what I can before diving in.