looks very cheap N42 block

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Clearly wont be a UK buyer - be lucky to find someone to pay £400 for a fully up and running engine here :D

richiep

Club Member
Not looking in a good state but there is still no way it will stay that cheap. Have you seen how much complete L28 head and block combos go for in Japan for example? Spoiler - it's A LOT. Way more than anyone here would want to pay anyway.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Not looking in a good state but there is still no way it will stay that cheap. Have you seen how much complete L28 head and block combos go for in Japan for example? Spoiler - it's A LOT. Way more than anyone here would want to pay anyway.

Go on give us a surprise, how much have you seen them fetch?

Robbie J

Club Member
I have purchased a few things on Yahoo at good rates, you need to organize shipping etc. The Japanese tend not to like second-hand goods that are rusty.

3 complete ld28 engines have sold on ebay for less than £300 in the past 8 weeks.
Full l28's, one at £250, two at less than £350.

that would be an expensive wine bottle rack

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
3 complete ld28 engines have sold on ebay for less than £300 in the past 8 weeks.
Full l28's, one at £250, two at less than £350.

that would be an expensive wine bottle rack

Links? I have only seen one LD28 engine and it was more than those. Not seen any L28’s other than one listed today for 650 for some time. Checked completed listings and nothing either?

richiep

Club Member
LD28s do come up every so often and rarely go for massive money - unless more than one Z guy is bidding. Historically, they've been a popular swap for Land Rovers and those guys aren't generally tuned in to the whole stroker crank hysteria. You can pick up an LD engine for 200-300. I know someone who grabbed two for 200 each a few years back, pulled the cranks and dumped the rest.

TBH, the whole LD crank price thing has been blown completely out of proportion (largely by the US market, where the supply is limited by the fact that they only came in diesel Maximas). People asking/paying 650-800 quid need a reality check! Bear in mind they are basically truck cranks and need a ton of expensive fettling to make them suitable for a high performance L-series.

If one stays sharp (and quiet when one pops on eBay), they can be had cheap.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
The Japanese tend not to like second-hand goods that are rusty.

I'm English, so - of course! - I wear a bowler hat and always carry an umbrella.

Early production N42-coded sedan engine blocks are particularly prized in Japanese street tuning and race circles because they had a reputation for being thick wall castings with 'better' metallurgy than later production blocks. The tuners and engine builders will generally pay a premium for them, surface rust or not. There's not many left in circulation over there.

richiep

Club Member
I'm English, so - of course! - I wear a bowler hat and always carry an umbrella.

Early production N42-coded sedan engine blocks are particularly prized in Japanese street tuning and race circles because they had a reputation for being thick wall castings with 'better' metallurgy than later production blocks. The tuners and engine builders will generally pay a premium for them, surface rust or not. There's not many left in circulation over there.

Case in point - N42 L28, suitable for rebuild:
https://www.bidjdm.com/bidding/auction/view/id/t651006164
JPY315,000 - £2,300.

One fitted with triple Mikuni/Solexs and tubular mainfold, in need of rebuild, bought as a spare engine and a relative unknown quantity internally:
https://www.bidjdm.com/bidding/auction/view/id/v626788636
£3,055.

https://www.bidjdm.com/bidding/auction/view/id/q209184985
L30, N42 head on F54 block - £2,376

Get the picture? As Alan says, L28s incur a premium in Japan, regardless of rust...

Last edited:

Robbie J

Club Member
currently at £150
recently purchased heater box RHD blower £25, rear bumper £90 etc looking forward to the new old stock Nissan 2/2 carpet set. It is missing the flat boot carpet but the rest is there. Sometimes there is stuff cheaper than the UK just need to factor in the shipping

Turn & Burn

Club Member
LD28s do come up every so often and rarely go for massive money - unless more than one Z guy is bidding. Historically, they've been a popular swap for Land Rovers and those guys aren't generally tuned in to the whole stroker crank hysteria. You can pick up an LD engine for 200-300. I know someone who grabbed two for 200 each a few years back, pulled the cranks and dumped the rest.

TBH, the whole LD crank price thing has been blown completely out of proportion (largely by the US market, where the supply is limited by the fact that they only came in diesel Maximas). People asking/paying 650-800 quid need a reality check! Bear in mind they are basically truck cranks and need a ton of expensive fettling to make them suitable for a high performance L-series.

If one stays sharp (and quiet when one pops on eBay), they can be had cheap.

What’s the ton of expensive fettling req’d to use an LD crank? As far as I’m aware they’re good to go after balancing and a check for straightness. It’s the rod / piston combo that’s a tough one to crack cheaply.

What’s the ton of expensive fettling req’d to use an LD crank? As far as I’m aware they’re good to go after balancing and a check for straightness. It’s the rod / piston combo that’s a tough one to crack cheaply.

you're right about the piston/rod combo, however places like Kameari do off the shelf kits for them.

richiep

Club Member
Because it’s a heavy old lump built for trucks basically. Several kg heavier than an L28 item. It’s not a performance part. All those high horsepower, high revving stroker builds done in Japan either use custom cranks or LDs that have been heavily reengineered with significant lightening and reshaping. Yes you can check for straightness and balance and use as is, but you will have what could be a called a “cooking stroker” (engine equivalent of “cooking brandy” - functional but nothing to write home about). If one is going to build a 3.1+, do it properly - and that means maximising the crank along with everything else. Otherwise, you can obtain equal performance from a well built L28.

Turn & Burn

Club Member
Because it’s a heavy old lump built for trucks basically. Several kg heavier than an L28 item. It’s not a performance part. All those high horsepower, high revving stroker builds done in Japan either use custom cranks or LDs that have been heavily reengineered with significant lightening and reshaping. Yes you can check for straightness and balance and use as is, but you

I’ve just been out with the scales this morning to verify the weights of the cranks as I wasn’t sure that there was such a large difference.
The l28 crank weighs in at 21.6kg and the Ld28 in at 22.00kg. Pics attached.
I agree that for a super high revving motor lightening would be beneficial but for a motor that generally redlines at 7500 I’m not sure it will matter as much.
Does crank weight limit hp much? It must absorb some power and instant response but I’m not sure to what effect.

Attachments

• E999B3F6-7B30-41CC-88F4-1CF12DAB22A6.jpeg
    E999B3F6-7B30-41CC-88F4-1CF12DAB22A6.jpeg
    137.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 14D32FB3-2CF9-407F-B2A0-16DB9C810A16.jpeg
    14D32FB3-2CF9-407F-B2A0-16DB9C810A16.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 31
  • AF59811A-2A57-48B8-9162-D35946B38F04.jpeg
    AF59811A-2A57-48B8-9162-D35946B38F04.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 8B9BA43D-CA29-4522-AE1A-370E6F0AF8AD.jpeg
    8B9BA43D-CA29-4522-AE1A-370E6F0AF8AD.jpeg