Looking for carbs that could be rented for a couple of months.

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
I know it's a bit of an odd request but does anyone has a set of carbs that would fit a 280z that I could rent for a month or two. Reason being I've got a 280Z sitting here that I want to remove the fuel injection system from, replace all the fuel lines and then pop some carbs on so I can fire it up and run round in it for a bit before I start the rebuild, so I've got a chance to make sure the motor, gearbox etc is all ok. Still trying to decide what setup to go with at the end of the day, throttle bodies, triple webers, whatever, but that's quite a few stages away yet so.
Anyway, any carbs that will fit will do. Should only need them for a couple of months at most. Certainly willing to pay for the use of.
:cheers:

Farmer42

Club Member
I presume you would need carbs and inlet manifold etc. I have a fuel rail and a pair of Datsun SU carbs but I don't have the manifold. The carbs, whilst they ran ok, may be a bit small for an L28 engine as they were off my old L20 and are 1.5 inch. They ran ok on an L26 but were a little down on power up to my current SU carbs which are 1.75 inch. You are welcome to give them a try if you wish and I could bring it all up to Donny at the weekend. No charge - they are sitting in my garage at the moment and happy for them to be of use.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Derrick might be worth talking to, he's got a set of triple Webers for his 260z which he might not be finishing this year :-/

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I've got a pair of old SUs sans manifold. You are welcome to borrow them but they do have slightly leaky throttle shafts.LMK.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
You really need a known 'set-up' with manifold otherwise you will need to work on someone else's carbs etc.

How about your's ?

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for the offers chaps :hurray:
You really need a known 'set-up' with manifold otherwise you will need to work on someone else's carbs etc.

How about your's ?
I want to be using my 260 over the next six months so that wouldn't really work out so good.

Derrick might be worth talking to, he's got a set of triple Webers for his 260z which he might not be finishing this year :-/
I thought Del boy had gone into hiding EXTRA;)

I presume you would need carbs and inlet manifold etc. I have a fuel rail and a pair of Datsun SU carbs but I don't have the manifold. The carbs, whilst they ran ok, may be a bit small for an L28 engine as they were off my old L20 and are 1.5 inch. They ran ok on an L26 but were a little down on power up to my current SU carbs which are 1.75 inch. You are welcome to give them a try if you wish and I could bring it all up to Donny at the weekend. No charge - they are sitting in my garage at the moment and happy for them to be of use.
Good point, me being pretty dim when it comes to mechanicals hadn't even thought about the manifold, doh! :smash:

I've got a pair of old SUs sans manifold. You are welcome to borrow them but they do have slightly leaky throttle shafts.LMK.

Ali, if that's ok by you, that would be great. They won't get much use tbh. I'll just be pottering about locally, just checking out motor strength, gearbox, running gear etc before I pull the car apart.
Although saying all that, looking at the governments new plans to get rid of all petrol cars by 2030 I may have to consider turning it into an electric sewing machine ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :EXTRAmad:

I want to be using my 260 over the next six months so that wouldn't really work out so good.

Good point, me being pretty dim when it comes to mechanicals hadn't even thought about the manifold, doh! :smash:

Ali, if that's ok by you, that would be great. They won't get much use tbh. I'll just be pottering about locally, just checking out motor strength, gearbox, running gear etc before I pull the car apart.
Although saying all that, looking at the governments new plans to get rid of all petrol cars by 2030 I may have to consider turning it into an electric sewing machine ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :EXTRAmad:

They’re not getting rid or banning them.

Farmer42

Club Member

You might also want to get in touch with Mike F cos you are also going to need a manifold gasket & probably a couple of studs as one or 2 are bound to snap. Also gaskets for either side of the carb spacers.

Huw

Club Member
Why not just run it with the fuel injection until your ready to rebuild it? Just thought I would ask, seem a lot of faf if your going to take it all apart in the future again???:conf2:

richiep

Club Member
Huw makes a good point - if you can get it running with the present FI. It's a lot of faff as a temporary measure and may end up more of a ball ache than working with what you've got. As Chris and I can attest from last weekend, working with relatively unknown quantity SUs can be a right royal pain. It's most definitely not a simple route to getting a car working unless you absolutely know that the carb setup you have is A1 functional.

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Agree with Huw and Rich.
Your car had been stood for a few years out of use.
The L Jetronic system may have been working fine and it may have been parked up for any number of reasons.
Although dating back to the 70's it was a pretty good system back in the day.
Most of the 280Z left still run with the original FI and have not been swapped out for carbs.
Until you start testing and re-commissioning you just won't know so work with what you have to start with is sensible advice.

Just get a decent mechanic on the job who has the time, skill and patience to sort it.
Maybe JonBills can help you out again ;) and I think Huw is a guru on the L Jetronic having been through the system on his 280ZX so may be good for advice if required.

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
Well tbh I'd have been quite happy to leave the FI on while I run round in it for a month, but my (very reasonable, cool headed, and most laid back) mechanic has been hassling me to get a set of carbs on it saying the FI looks unsafe.

I know some of you have met my (very reasonable, cool headed, and most laid back) mechanic :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'd be up for having a play with it with you, as long as inspector Blakey isn't on duty. [emoji57]

Edit: ah, inspector Blakey is on the case. Good luck Jake [emoji16]

Last edited:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
OK dude, PM me your address and I will try to dig them out next week.

I warn you though, I really struggled to get them to behave at both idle and on power, it was one or the other - they defo have a leak somewhere.

Currently in the Peak District on holiday - had to drive past Donnington and shed a tear at not being able to join you fellas this weekend! But when I get back, I will look for them.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Jake, I had a look and can't seem to find the little critters anywhere. I must have Ickes them away too well. Will keep looking. :(