Looking for an S14 gearbox.

MickR

Mick R
Club Member
Im looking for a replacement box for my 240z as the UK five speed is starting to crunch on down shifts to second. I understand from research that the lack of availability of the synchro makes it difficult to refurb the UK five speed box.
I have put the feelers out for an S14 box on breakers websites and am keeping an eye on ebay, even went to my local Nissan dealer who was interested in what I'm doing, but advised that a new S14 box would set me back around £2500. Does anyone have any advice on where else to look for an S13, 14 or 14a box?
The car is still drivable but I really miss second gear. Its my favourite

Geoff-R

Club Member
Judging by previous posts around the same topic it looks like you're just going to have to keep your eyes peeled using the usual sources. I'm sure someone will be along to let you know though. Seems a worthwhile upgrade though and something I may need to consider.

richiep

Club Member
It’s a matter of keeping your eyes peeled on eBay tbh, if you are after a used one at an affordable price (2.5k reasonable Rob??? :O I mean I’m know we are talking new but ouch!)

S13, 14, and 14a boxes go for around £300 these days. Much more is starting to take the piddle, less is lucky if in good nick. Traders/pro breakers tend to ask much more.

I picked up an S14 recently for £280 and an S13 for £255. Still can’t beat the £150 I paid three or so years ago for the nice S14a box now in my FairladyZ!

atomman

Club Member
I picked up a S13 box the other week off ebay for not a lot of money , £100 , gonna rebuilt it anyways so no point in buying an expensive one,

You just gotta keep an eye out and be quick , also look for what else they may have been listed as not just S13 S14 etc

hope that helps

CheerZ

Gary

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Yes Rich surely £2500 is reasonable for a new gearbox. I'm not saying it's a reasonable price for upgrading an S30 just that it seems fair for a complex component like a gearbox.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I picked up a S13 box the other week off ebay for not a lot of money , £100 , gonna rebuilt it anyways so no point in buying an expensive one,

You just gotta keep an eye out and be quick , also look for what else they may have been listed as not just S13 S14 etc

hope that helps

CheerZ

Gary
Here's the saved search I have on ebay for them.
(s13,s14,s14a,200sx,ca18,sr20,180sx, fs5w71c) (gearbox,gearboxes) -auto -automatic -primastar

MickR

Mick R
Club Member
Thanks for the advice folks, I'll keep an eye out and use your save search Jon.
Sean, I would consider an S13 if I don't get any luck with an S14, just thought I'd aim for the slightly stronger box in the first instance.

I'm probably being a bit impatient as I have only been looking a couple of weeks.

I got a price of £760 for an S14 from a breaker but they have gone quiet. Probably a good thing based on Rich's guide of £300.

richiep

Club Member
That whole thing about S13 boxes being weaker than the later ones is Internet hearsay. I.e. it’s not true. The S13, 14 and 14A boxes have identical gear sets. The aspect of the design that evolved over the three versions is the internal oiling system. The 14a is the most developed with a trapdoor system through the sandwich plate. However, this is a minimal difference, certainly for road use in a Z.

Because of this perception and the fact they are a few years older and feature the bellhousing designed for the CA18DET not the more favoured SR20DET, S13 boxes are often quite a bit cheaper. Which is useful... :)

johnymd

Club Member
Does anyone know if the old bellhousing from these gearboxes have any value or are they just thrown away?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
That whole thing about S13 boxes being weaker than the later ones is Internet hearsay. I.e. it’s not true. The S13, 14 and 14A boxes have identical gear sets. The aspect of the design that evolved over the three versions is the internal oiling system. The 14a is the most developed with a trapdoor system through the sandwich plate. However, this is a minimal difference, certainly for road use in a Z.

Well said Rich and it goes hand in hand with another one that the R200 is a must for performance engines.....another spill-over from USA forum chat.

Look at the specs of the MZR cars with their performance engines - they're running R180s.

On the gearbox front, my L31 which did a fair bit of hard track-time was mated to an S12 box - NEVER an issue.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Well said Rich and it goes hand in hand with another one that the R200 is a must for performance engines.....another spill-over from USA forum chat.

Look at the specs of the MZR cars with their performance engines - they're running R180s.

On the gearbox front, my L31 which did a fair bit of hard track-time was mated to an S12 box - NEVER an issue.
My S13 box has done 3 years of abuse without problems.
Any dyno/track/strip reports of mzr performance around? Do mzr really have performance aspirations?

It’s none lsd r180s that seem to be weak(spider gears), lots of people using r160’s(lsd) with lots of power/torque with no issues.

R200 is just an extra 20kg to carry around?

The ‘c’ type box only seems to show issues when running in heavily boosted cars.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Single pinion open r200 diffs are also pretty weak. Can't take drag racing anyway.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Any dyno/track/strip reports of mzr performance around? Do mzr really have performance aspirations?

You'd have to ask any owners that - I don't even know how many bespoke cars they've sold so far.

I see photos of the :

pale green Z
blue Z
Samuri Z
Orange Z
ZG kitted Z

and those classic versions (white Z and green Z) sold before the NEC.