Looking for a 240Z

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Hi guys, well im a VAG car enthusiast currently (well im not as I have blew mine up enough!).

Im currently looking to buy a 240z with a decent body, engine condition doesnt matter as I have plans to put a small block Chevy in or an RB26 but from reading the RB motor is a lot more work than the Small block.

Does anyone know what exactly is involved with the small block engine conversion?

If anyone is looking for a trade on a 310hp 4 wheel drive Golf....let me know!

Thanks and of course...Hi!

Dan

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Dan

Call William Galliers on 01694 731373 he will have some more rust free imports soon.

Hi mate, cheers. However im not really looking at an import as with that usually comes great expenses.

I have decided to go down the 350 V8 route on the car...when I find one! There is one near me for sale for 3k but someone is viewing it tomorrow so I might miss out on that. That one also has a nasty sunroof fitted so would have to weld that up.

The plan...

350 Chevy V8 running low compression to take a some turbos (GT35R's if I can find some for a decent price), if there is room in the car that is...

How much should I be paying for a reasonable condition 240z? Is the 260/280z the same car but different engine?

Cheers!
Dan

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
Hi mate, cheers. However im not really looking at an import as with that usually comes great expenses.

William takes care of all the expenses, the cars are carefully selected & usually start at around 4k all in.

I have decided to go down the 350 V8 route on the car...when I find one! There is one near me for sale for 3k but someone is viewing it tomorrow so I might miss out on that. That one also has a nasty sunroof fitted so would have to weld that up.

Avoid uk cars unless they have had a fortune spent on them, even then be very careful of bodges, imports are usually as they left the factory.

The plan...

350 Chevy V8 running low compression to take a some turbos (GT35R's if I can find some for a decent price), if there is room in the car that is...

How much should I be paying for a reasonable condition 240z? Is the 260/280z the same car but different engine?

Who knows even relicks go for silly money on ebay. 240z & early 260z are virtually the same bar engine size, late 260 & 280 are completely different.

P.S. Just spoke to William he has 4 early 240z's coming over, he said they should be here before christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:

idiots4golf

Active Forum User
left hand drive

Hello,
is someone going to mention driving a left hooker or getting it converted (not cheap
Good luck with the project.

Gaz

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Thats one of the problems with an import! I dont really want LHD. If I was going to drive an American specc'd car I'd insure my Chevelle!

I will try to find a solid one in this country. Ideally without an engine though!

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Does anyone know what exactly is involved with the small block engine conversion?
The SBC conversion is well documented and most parts required are available
We have members on this forum who will be able assist with advice and parts.

Im currently looking to buy a 240z with a decent body,
If you are serious and in a position to proceed now then
I currently have a rust free LHD import here for sale.(Nottingham)
Just imported.Everything paid but not registered in UK yet
It has a running eng/box in it. But I could remove that and lower the price accordingly.
Negotiable around £5K
Email/call to discuss
07778 411568 pmaczc@madasafish.com

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I am serious, as said above though im more after a car for around the 3k mark with minor rust and possibly no engine. Must be RHD really though.

Thanks for the offer.

Dan

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
im more after a car for around the 3k mark with minor rust and possibly no engine. Must be RHD really though.

Yes thats the one we are all after. Well at least 10 people I know.
I have been looking for a number of years.... without success
I made the mistake of traveling 500 miles this summer to look at one that the owner assured me was rust free.
Hey ho... such is life.
Good luck with the search.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
It doesnt have to be complete rust free. As long as there is no MAJOR body work problems I dont mind wings, exterior panels etc. Just dont want a rotten bulkhead.

Dan

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
It's underneath and structural where you'll find it almost anywhere in European cars......they've suffered for nearly 40 years.

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
It doesnt have to be complete rust free. As long as there is no MAJOR body work problems I dont mind wings, exterior panels etc. Just dont want a rotten bulkhead.

Dan

You won't find one as pmac says !!! you would be very fortunate if you did. To convert to rhd can be a very easy job if you don't go the full bulkhead change route, I know the guy who converted the silver dollar to rhd in a weekend !!! At 3k you will be buying a breaker that you won't get a return on your cash, been there done that too often :eek:

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I dont mind a bit of restoration, if the engine is being changed anyway im sure I'll have plenty of access to underneath and around the car to do some welding...

Photo-0158.jpg

That was during the restoration, the shell was pretty bad but had a good bulkhead which is rare on that body type. Usuaully rotten under the window. And after:

Picture013.jpg

If anyone knows of a shell for sale please let me know.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
You won't find one as pmac says !!! you would be very fortunate if you did. To convert to rhd can be a very easy job if you don't go the full bulkhead change route, I know the guy who converted the silver dollar to rhd in a weekend !!! At 3k you will be buying a breaker that you won't get a return on your cash, been there done that too often :eek:

No Gwyn I didnt say he wouldnt find one.
I just pointed out the truth . Namely that a lot of people are constantly on the lookout for such cars. Ie a restorable RHD 240Z for around £3K.
My quest in the past year has taken me to three total write offs that I broke and placed me 250mls from home in front of a 240Z that the owner claimed had no rust except on the bumper.. The roof was so badly rusted that the entire drip rail had disappeared.:smash:. Some areas were rust free .... cos body filler doesnt rust does it.:rolleyes:

Thats why in general I have turned my intention to Almost rust free imported cars.
Im always on the lookut for useable RHD ones tho.

rallymanDP

Well-Known Forum User
What everyon else has said previously - there's absolutely no chance to find a worthwhile 'Z' for less than around the £6-7k mark for a RHD model, and even that will need some work and cosmetic attention.
If you haven't got that sort of Budget, then steer clear of the 'cheapies' at lesser money - they will be a financial nightmare of the kind you don't need.
Do remember that they are now 35-40 years of age and weren't designed & built to last more than about 10 years or so - that was the expectation for new cars in the era.
Add in the salt & grit on British roads over that many Winters and.....well, join the dots for the rest.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
or you could get a fibreglass one ,but in a nutshell the same as what everyone is saying,rallyman has hit it right on the nail.now wheres my bombay mix !!!!!