Looking for 240/260/280z circa £15k

Larby

Club Member
Hi all,

The time has finally come and I’m looking to buy a Z project. I’ve got a budget of around £15k ready to go.

My aim in the end is to build a RHD converted restomod, so I’m not too fussed about originality.

I may even consider an engine swap, so would look at cars with no engine/box.

I’d prefer a pretty straight, good body as that’s the one aspect I don’t really do, but it will get resprayed.

I’m based in Guernsey, Channel Islands, so able to buy from wherever and have it shipped down (or I’ll drive it if I’m lucky enough to get a driver).

I run a performance/cherished vehicle garage and fabrication centre, so very well equipped for mechanical and custom work.

So, what’s out there? Any tips from anyone on what to expect for that sort of money?

Cheers!

Robotsan

Club Member
Hi all,

The time has finally come and I’m looking to buy a Z project. I’ve got a budget of around £15k ready to go.

My aim in the end is to build a RHD converted restomod, so I’m not too fussed about originality.

I may even consider an engine swap, so would look at cars with no engine/box.

I’d prefer a pretty straight, good body as that’s the one aspect I don’t really do, but it will get resprayed.

I’m based in Guernsey, Channel Islands, so able to buy from wherever and have it shipped down (or I’ll drive it if I’m lucky enough to get a driver).

I run a performance/cherished vehicle garage and fabrication centre, so very well equipped for mechanical and custom work.

So, what’s out there? Any tips from anyone on what to expect for that sort of money?

Cheers!

You could look at the direct US import route - I have bought a 280z with very straight body & extremely minimal rust from California, via Mike (@SacCyclone ) for £10k. Interior needs completely replacing and paint is super patina-ed, but the engine and body is sweet.
Quite a few people have bought from Mike on here, as he only buys good straight cars and he's incredibly helpful and patient with the 1000s of questions you'll have :)

Door to door shipping is £2.5k, from Cali to Manchester. Import tax was another £500.

But it's a good way of getting a guaranteed straight car.

Larby

Club Member
You could look at the direct US import route - I have bought a 280z with very straight body & extremely minimal rust from California, via Mike (@SacCyclone ) for £10k. Interior needs completely replacing and paint is super patina-ed, but the engine and body is sweet.
Quite a few people have bought from Mike on here, as he only buys good straight cars and he's incredibly helpful and patient with the 1000s of questions you'll have :)

Door to door shipping is £2.5k, from Cali to Manchester. Import tax was another £500.

But it's a good way of getting a guaranteed straight car.

That’s really good to know!!
I’d considered a US import but didn’t want to risk buying a lemon. Seems that could be a great way to do it.
Being in Guernsey, we don’t pay VAT or import duty either, so that’s another advantage!

How long does it take roughly from when you buy to it arriving?

Cheers

Robotsan

Club Member
That’s really good to know!!
I’d considered a US import but didn’t want to risk buying a lemon. Seems that could be a great way to do it.
Being in Guernsey, we don’t pay VAT or import duty either, so that’s another advantage!

How long does it take roughly from when you buy to it arriving?

Cheers

Yeah I wouldn't have considered it before either for the same reason! But like I said a few people on here told me they've bought theirs from Mike too, and once I'd spoken to him on a call I knew he's a guy you can trust :)

Well from when it was picked up from Mike's it was 30 says to Southampton. Another few to unload and transport to mine.

But you'll want to fill it with parts while it's there because it saves you the shipping costs! So I spent at least a month buying parts and having them shipped to Mike to pack in the car.

I'm saying all this but I don't think Mike has anything else but a 240 at the moment which is a fair bit past your budget. But drop him a message - I think he's always on the look out for any decent Z. You might just have to be patient :)