London Classic Car Show

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
As some of you will problably know this show started last night as will be going at the Excel in London until this Sunday. I did my usual and shot over for the preview evening last night as its super quiet and super easy to get around and see everything.

Someone obviously heard me complaining loudly that there were no JDM cars present, as a G-Nose and Toyota 2000GT appeared as I spoke on the display runway. Both owned by a club member, very pleased to report that the G-Nose was looking dirty, used and enjoyed :D

Only phone photos, however I thought a few of you may like to see....

IMG-8901 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG-8918 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG-8916 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG-8897 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG-8919 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
All in all - the car 'show' merely looks like a gigantic hanger parking meet-up....no attempt at any decorated stands....

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
All in all - the car 'show' merely looks like a gigantic hanger parking meet-up....no attempt at any decorated stands....

They're just in the paddock at the end, main show has official club stands with banners, cars people etc (just like your recent Paris effort). Otherwise lots of big restoration companies, demonstration runway, Coys auction, celebrations of marques, influential designers/drivers etc, sales area you name it.

I only thought I'd share the JDM cars of interest rather than a taste of the whole event albeit I'll admit it's not huge and generally very high brow.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
No criticism, just a view based on available photographs - got anymore then of the proper stands....and why aren't there any Japanses cars in the posh bit ?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Cause it's the posh bit I expect.

All wrong then...and here's why :

All the olf fuddy-dudies owning MGBs, Stags and Rovers and the other richer bods investing in the big racing makes are going to die off sooner rather than later. Another generation of Japanese car fans are there to be loyalised and for longer. It's happened before with Japanese motorbikes.

Very short-sighted to block out the huge Japanese car scene (and in parallel the 'Youngtimer' one too).....but the organisers' loss, no stress.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Another generation of Japanese car fans are there to be loyalised and for longer. It's happened before with Japanese motorbikes.

Very short-sighted to block out the huge Japanese car scene (and in parallel the 'Youngtimer' one too).....but the organisers' loss, no stress.

I think you'll find that "the huge Japanese car scene" is doing it's own thing elsewhere, in a kind of attack-dog-on-a-rope, eating-beans-in-a-string-vest white-plastic-garden-furniture kind of way...

STEVE BURNS

Club Member
careful now Sean just remind me of what age you are now
And unfortunately a lot of the younger aged enthusiasts in the car scene see people over 35 as old fuddy-dudies

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
careful now Sean just remind me of what age you are now
And unfortunately a lot of the younger aged enthusiasts in the car scene see people over 35 as old fuddy-dudies

Absolutely but I bit the Jap bait when I was 22 and haven't left it !

Besides, what we've noticed over here (can no longer speak for UK scene but no doubts that it's the same) are the 20-35 yr olds actively looking for a Z, not buying by chance but covetting a Z ! I don't see people dreaming of most others in the same era and price range.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
No criticism, just a view based on available photographs - got anymore then of the proper stands....and why aren't there any Japanses cars in the posh bit ?

I wasn't going around taking any photos of club or manufacturer stands however these are the couple of pics I took out of curiosity. You can see the 'club' kind of area behind the Aston.

With regards to why no Jap metal, there's no major UK restoration companies on the whole and those that there are obviously don't feel its worth their time or money. Club wise, it's alot of time effort and money to have a club stand there for 4 days that you ar erequired to man and maintain. Entry costs are high....

The UK has for a long time and continues to look down on JDM cars vs their Italian, British and German counterparts...

IMG-8879 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG-8883 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG-8886 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG-8925 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

uk66fastback

Club Member
I went to the first one and wouldn't go again. Why? Too many cars there I have no interest in (and couldn't afford even if I had the interest). Seen one E-type with immaculate paint, you've seen them all in my view.

There are some gorgeous motors there but I'm more interested in your normal classics, not your exotica.

There's a lot of money kicking around at this show, which kinda sorts out who is there manufacturer/importer-wise and who isn't. But that's Lunnun for ya!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks Mark.

Seems to be a high % of 'new builds'.

Citroen have made a huge effort as they did here at Paris.

Here's a teaser of what we saw here !

What I loved were the rather rare cars, albeit exotica, Facel Vega HK500, Iso Grifo 7.4litre.....they had 6x Gullwing 300SLs and 7x Miuras including the zinc model restored to it's original condition AND colour !

I didn't even bother to look at the auction stand - I think one had to wear a tie and pay for an obilgatory catalogue to do so.....

Attachments

• Rétromobile Paris Feb 2019.jpg
    Rétromobile Paris Feb 2019.jpg
    426.1 KB · Views: 14

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
That's it Mike, its all about money because of where it is so inevitably a lot of exotica....

No worries, it is largely big name restoration companies advertising their high end and expensive restorations I'll admit. Still good to chat to these people and get ideas and see the impressive craftsmanship though. A lot more restomod style companies on the scene these days as well.

It was really nice to see Citroen there, that SM above was simply stunning, I loved the colour....

It looks equally as fantastic, thanks for the thumbnails. Another one to visit one year!