Locks (doors and boot)

Makesy

Club Member
Hi all,

I'm looking for a replacement set of locks for my car. Wondering if there is a modern alternative to used old ones available?

I have some repro door locks obtained on eBay from Thailand a couple of years ago but they don't seem to operate properly (will unlock, but not lock with the key).

When trying to find a boot lock, it seems these don't really exist anymore. I have one that does a job, though would prefer something newer.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Alex

Last edited:

richiep

Club Member
...they don't seem to operate properly (will unlock, but not lock with the key).

I'd start here before doing anything else; it is very common for there to be problems within the door locking mechanism due to missing or broken parts - especially the plastic/nylon components that can be found. I'd bet money there's absolutely nothing wrong with the lock set, but something is broken or stuck in the linkage between the lock and the latch mechanism.

As I said this is common - my red Z's passenger door only locks from the inside for this very reason, and it is fitted with a NOS set of Nissan locks, so it isn't a case of dodgy repros being at fault.

You need to get inside your doors and have a proper look at the linkage.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I had a problem with my Samuri and took the window out and the lock, cleaned, lubricated and checked and all was fine. Refitted and the problem was still there. Someone had fitted screws that were too long - the ones that hold the lock to the door. If only I'd known ha ha.

Makesy

Club Member
I'd start here before doing anything else; it is very common for there to be problems within the door locking mechanism due to missing or broken parts - especially the plastic/nylon components that can be found. I'd bet money there's absolutely nothing wrong with the lock set, but something is broken or stuck in the linkage between the lock and the latch mechanism.

As I said this is common - my red Z's passenger door only locks from the inside for this very reason, and it is fitted with a NOS set of Nissan locks, so it isn't a case of dodgy repros being at fault.

You need to get inside your doors and have a proper look at the linkage.

Thanks Richie,

I'll take a look. I can lock from the inside but not the outside and it's a bit frustrating

Rob - perhaps then screw length is the reason. I'll see what I can find

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I think I had a similar problem with my car and it took ages to work out but I think it was the internal door release that was causing the problem as it was not quite returning to its proper place as it was catching the edge of the door panel.

Wyn

Club Member
If you do need them and assuming rhd try get a used set of locks from a left hooker.
Got mine from the states cheap and have a mint working lock set now

status

Well-Known Forum User
When getting those locks from Thailand they probably don’t know that there is a slight difference between the 240 and 260 locks in the doors,still got mine somewhere