LHD to RHD Conversions

Mr.G

Club Member
Grateful for opinions on the following:

Has anyone had a LHD car converted to RHD and regretted it? Or are you happy you did it?

Has converting it over to RHD increased your insurance premiums since it's now considered modified? Is that the stance insurers take?

Thoughts on driving a LHD car over here?

Cheers :thumbs:

bluejon

Club Member
I can give you a LHD drive viewpoint as I bought mine last summer. It is fine. At first I felt it was a distraction from enjoying the car as you are inevitably more conscious and more concentrating when driving ... which you will know if you've ever hired a car on holiday in a LHD country. But in those cases of course it is made worse by also driving on the wrong side of the road and going the wrong way around roundabouts.

However this effect has worn off and now it's a natural drive to me, just a different car. So to me it is no great shakes; with LHD, you'll have a much wider choice of car to buy at a lower price point then holding out for an equivalent RHD.

Last edited by a moderator:

toopy

Club Member
Plus, finding all the neccesary parts for the conversion these days would be a nightmare i would imagine :(

Pete

Well-Known Forum User
I can give you a LHD drive viewpoint as I bought mine last summer. It is fine. At first I felt it was a distraction from enjoying the car as you are inevitably more conscious and more concentrating when driving ... which you will know if you've ever hired a car on holiday in a LHD country. But in those cases of course it is made worse by also driving on the wrong side of the road and going the wrong way around roundabouts.

However this effect has worn off and now it's a natural drive to me, just a different car. So to me it is no great shakes; with LHD, you'll have a much wider choice of car to buy at a lower price point then holding out for an equivalent RHD.
+1
Never even think about it being LHD drive now,it feels completely natural except when you meet a drive thru or pay barrier car park!

uk66fastback

Club Member
Having had Mustangs for years and driven a Dodge truck as a daily for five years - I prefer LHD. Suffering from SSD - Single Side Deafness, my right ear is my good one - so sitting on the left means I can hear the missus.

So swings and roundabouts ... !

LHD takes initial getting used to - changing gear with the right hand etc - but after a bit - it's second nature.

An auto is even easier of course.

racer

Club Member
Hi George

My car was converted before I had it so, I cant answer your question fully.

I'm still only paying a couple of hundred quid insurance desipte all the mods.

I'm certainly glad it started life as a Californian shell as I've only ever had very minor rust issues.

A left hooker is not for me for performance driving on our roads but, each to his own.

Have you got another one?

ps

Terry and Johny both have RHD painted fibre glass dashes witch look very good imo.

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
LHD = No problem at all. In fact it kinda makes it even more fun to drive. It's never been a problem over taking plus you get to smile at the driver of the car you are overtaking :) lol. I guess barrier pay points such as car parks or a visit to McDonalds drive thru (if that's your kinda thing) could be a bit of a pain but I don't use either so I wouldn't know. And during those jaunts across Europe etc you'll fit right in. All in all I'd think you would get a much better deal on a good low/no rust lhd car over a rhd patch work quilt.

Mr.G

Club Member
Hi guys,

thanks all for your comments which on the whole are reassuring.

In fact it's not a Z I am thinking of but another classic and just wanted to know how practical living with a left hander is going to be.

Nmd14

Club Member
Hi Mr G,

I have a LHD and can honestly say it has never been an issue. That includes driving through and around London, a great road trip around Scotland and plenty of motorway miles.

Plus you get to enjoy road trips around Spain and France and go to events like Le Mans.

If you want to push it on the roads, that might be a different matter but when in the Highlands, I reckon I was having more fun at 70 in my Z than the Porsche brigade were having at 100.

big rex 2

Well-Known Forum User
LHD is no bother to me either , first 3 outings were a bit strange but i was paranoid about pranging it anyway. Now it feels natural ,my advice to anyone is don't knock till you try it.

Dave B

Well-Known Forum User
I've had a couple of LHD motors, an integrale and a Chevy Astro van, you soon get used to it. My 280z project is left hooker and will be staying that way, it just adds to the quirkiness of the car. Plus the time effort and money spent converting it would be better spent in other areas in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk