LHD 240Z - Destination France

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice, we are looking to book a bit of a holiday this year and the Datsun is pretty much ready so I suggested taking it to France and doing a little tour around whilst there.

Anyone else done this? I’d like to put some miles under the Z’s belt once it’s back on the road to ensure it’s reliable enough. Should i take spares if we do it? Any recommendations on places to go?

Dan

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice, we are looking to book a bit of a holiday this year and the Datsun is pretty much ready so I suggested taking it to France and doing a little tour around whilst there.

Anyone else done this? I’d like to put some miles under the Z’s belt once it’s back on the road to ensure it’s reliable enough. Should i take spares if we do it? Any recommendations on places to go?

Dan

Le Mans Classic.

TimW

Club Member
Le Mans as Rob says, tie up with a few Z'ders... and if you want to head south, Bayonne is awesome with a pre-stop off at Bordeaux.. A little further on to the Spanish boarder, ie San Sebastian and Bilbao.. Use coast routes

Spares, I take a leaf outta my old Pops book in the 70's. Water, a spare fan belt, jump cables and these days, some Tyre Fix..:thumbs:

TimW

Club Member
FTM, also the obligatory basic socket set, a few spanners and screwdrivers, just in case you need to do any roadside carb refurbishment, aye Rob?.. :)

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
FTM, also the obligatory basic socket set, a few spanners and screwdrivers, just in case you need to do any roadside carb refurbishment, aye Rob?.. :)

Thanks Tim,

Is it easy to drive from Bilbao to Bayonne? Maybe do the route in reverse and get the Ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao.

Dan

uk66fastback

Club Member
There's some French bloke on here very occasionally, he might have an idea!

Don't you have to carry one of these EU kits now - (well, until we give 'em two fingers finally,, or maybe still then anyway) ... bulb kit etc?

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Definitely aware that your beam has to shine the other way. Think you can buy a European travel kit from Halfords with all the essentials (well within reason...)

toopy

Club Member
Off the top of my head.... You need a hiviz for every person in the car, a warning triangle, bulb kit, insurance document clearly showing entitlement to drive abroad
And of course the headlight adjusters that stick on

toopy

Club Member
On the spares front, i would suggest as a minimum...

Fan belt
a spark plug or two, same for HT leads (longer ones obviously)
Dizzy cap + points, if your still running them i would say it was essential!
Rotor arm
Coil
Hose repair tape
and maybe a Thermostat :D

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
There's a guy on here who had an orange 240Z and made a trip down to Spain and back - have a little search and you'll see what it took and needed.