Leaky R200 Diff

Wyn

Club Member
Bit random and it maybe something else like a gasket? but has anyone had a problem of an Long nose R200 diff breathing oil?
I say breathing but not sure how else you term it?
My 260z is fitted with a nismo plated lsd unit so unsure if they are know to do that ?
Have noticed that after giving it some beans at santa pod this weekend the diff seams to breathe oil out of its breather ?
Been like that for some time now (not so bad) but sure its got worse now ?
Sure have upped the power of the engine and I need to recheck the oil, but I sure haven't added any more for it to pump out even more?

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Is it getting hot and making the oil expand and do have the finned rear cover or the smooth one

Wyn

Club Member
tbh dunno if it is getting hot as such?
Car only did 4 - 12 second runs, each about n hour apart, so must be plenty of time to cool down if it was ?
Using the stock flat cover atm

datsun dave

Club Member
tbh dunno if it is getting hot as such?
Car only did 4 - 12 second runs, each about n hour apart, so must be plenty of time to cool down if it was ?
Using the stock flat cover atm

My old Sam had a R200 LSD and that used to get very hot I fitted a diff cooler kit from 300zx.

johnymd

Club Member
Mine gets extremely hot and has done for a number of year. It also breaths a fair amount of oil which I think is helping the rear of the car from going rusty. The gearbox also leaks from the rear seal which helps to protect the middle of the car. Now I just need the engine to leak a bit and the whole underside should be protected.

zedhead240

Well-Known Forum User
Mine is breathing heavy too and isn't getting hot so I'm changing the metal breather for a plastic one which seems a bit longer but ive noticed a direction arrow on top of it ,am I to assume this points to the front of car ???

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Now I just need the engine to leak a bit and the whole underside should be protected.

:thumbs:

Just loosen a couple of sump nuts half a turn and bingo!! Before I tightened mine, the underside was beautifully protected ;)

Ali K

Ian

Club Member
I'm sure my diff is leaking a bit from the rear cover.

When it was off to fit the lsd I just used liquid gasket, is it better to use an actual gasket (I see you can get them on e-bay) or should the gasketmaker have been fine?

johnymd

Club Member
Liquid gasket is usually fine. On mine the oil comes out of the breather pipe, which is common I think. I keep meaning to do the common fix which is attach a hose to it to extend its length.

Ian

Club Member
There is some oil around the breather on mine. I best double check that the oil I see hasn't just run down from that and that all I'm seeing before I go and remove the cover.