Leaking Fuel Pump

Dondigital

Club Member
The fuel pump on my 240Z is leaking, I assume that it is not worth repairing and I should replace it with a new one, probably from from Rockauto.
Any advice and is it worth getting an electrical one instead of a manual one?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
a new mechanical one from rockauto is least effort by far. electric only if you need more fuel than standard.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
A new mechanical pump will be a straight swap so yes easily fitted. I seem to remember that you have to be sure to get the operating arm onto the cam and not hooked under it. I've never bought from the US so don't know what hassle you will get (including taxes).

An electric pump can be fitted in the engine bay (it doesn't have to go at the rear - I ran with one like that for years) and it will give you the advantage of being able to switch it on before you attempt to start the car (power it from an ignition feed). Are you competent with car electrics? That enables you to fill the carbs with fuel which can speed up starting if your car is used infrequently.

A fuel pressure gauge is a good idea too - it helps to prevent the pump overpowering the fuel 'cut off' valves in the carbs.

I note from another Thread that you thought you'd cured the leak - obviously not. I assume the diaphragm is perished?

Dondigital

Club Member
I thought I’d sorted out the leak but it started again and with petrol dripping onto the alternator, my only choice is a new one.

I’ve order one from Rockauto, along with a new fuel filter, total cost including taxes, shipping, etc is £28.38. Making it much cheaper than the one currently available on eBay.co.uk by a considerable margin.

It’s worth noting that while the price is in GBP when you order, it’s converted into US$ when the payment goes through. It’s worth using a credit card that does charge non-sterling transaction fees: i.e. Halifax Clarity, Barclaycard Rewards. On big ticket items that saves a lot. Delivery times seem to to be pretty quick, well so far they have.