Ld28 engines......

atomman

Club Member
There's been a few LD28's on ebay lately , Couple from old Landy's and one from a old LT,

I did enquire about them but them, think one wanted £400 ish for just the crank, cant remember about the other one,

To be honest for that money by the time you check it over or have to pay to get it checked and reground/polished I would just by a new one and be safe,

I was thinking of building a stroker using the LD28 case aswell at some point

Last edited:
There's been a few really cheap ones, I had a deposit on one at £250, which Johnny ended up with, another I know of where they want £400. As you say though, always a risk.

I think you can build something interesting without going down the LD route.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Those V07 crankshafts must be designed for all of 4500rpm.

Interesting point JB, I've often wondered about that.

Having said that and given how many have been built, are we aware of any known stroker failures due to crank issues / overspeed?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'm not aware of any failures, but also don't know what use people are putting them too. Maybe they don't get revved much.

johnymd

Club Member
I’m still in the process of going down this route, which I jumped into without any research, I don’t think it’s worth the hassle. From the research I’ve done now, it appears to not give more extra over a similar 2.9 build with the l crank.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I rev mine to 8000 rpm.

It is balanced and use a harmonic damper.

Exactly Ben - fit the best (and in my view fluid) harmonic damper one can.

My previous L31 revved comfortably to 7.5k (for a road car), I don't know about this one on Jenvey EFi - I might tell you next week when it goes rolling-roaded nearby now the running in has finished.

riceburner

New Forum User
Weighed my L28 and LD28 side by side before machine work, both stock were 23kgs on bathroom scales. Had the LD28 lightened, balanced, Kameari fliud damper, reved to 8000. Zero issues.

As a side note, rod weights were also almost identical to petrol L28

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Great info - thx.

As a side issue, the first L32 stroker I knew of (and in the UK) was back in 1990.