Late 260 Diff / Drive shaft upgrades!

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
Hi there

My diff has a very slight whine, probably not unusual for car this age, but are there any later and better diff swaps that are more robust and less noisy? Also, what about CV Shafts?

Where would you source them?

Standard car by the way, no mods.

I am considering the S14 conversion, what would add up to make smooth and robust driveline?

Thanks,

Steve

Mr.F

Inactive
Your R200 differential continues into the 280ZX (manual) models and also the 300ZX Z31. The noise is more to do with where you are sitting relative to the differential location in the car - the same diff in a 2+2 insulated Z31 would be virtually noiseless in the driver cabin.
Late 280ZX manual cars are a suitable source of CV joint shafts, but will need an adapter kit to mate to your stub axle inner flanges.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
My diff has a very slight whine, probably not unusual for car this age...........I am considering the S14 conversion........Steve

On a standard car the driveshafts will be fine (if not worn). A slight whine from the diff can be tolerated surely? - save your money for the gbox conversion.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Late 280ZX manual cars are a suitable source of CV joint shafts, but will need an adapter kit to mate to your stub axle inner flanges.

If you decide to go down this route then I have the correct shafts and the 280ZX flanges that you will need to make the adaptors.;)

My diff has a very slight whine,
Are you sure its the diff:????:confused:

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Are you sure its the diff:????

...carrying on, if it is the diff, has it correct oil and filled correctly?

And is there a huge need to think about swapping diff and shafts, as the OEM can work well within your stock (?) set-up?

racer

Club Member
My car did 10 seasons of racing (Not Drag) on standard reconditioned shafts. Still perfect.
As Ian says, when was the last oil change on the diff? All R200's are a bit noisy, there all Old! Bit like my Knees in the morning :D

Sylv1

Well-Known Forum User
mine is also standard : donnors was 280Zx 82 diff + 260z shafts

urethane conversion also don't help with noise reduction

Wyn

Club Member
Forgetting shafts etc what's the normal max power a std 260z R200 diff is safe up to ?

500+ or no way ?

Ian

Club Member
Well, from what I've seen from looking in the USA they are easily able to cope with 500HP and theres people running as much as 600Hp through an R200.

A lot of these won't be 260Z diffs but they aren't any different to any other R200 so don't see why there would be any difference.