L24 and box on ebay - converting to electric | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

L24 and box on ebay - converting to electric

Discussion in 'Classifieds discussion' started by AD240Z, Sep 2, 2020.

1. AD240Z

AD240Z
    Z Club Member

Theres an L24 engine and auto box for sale on ebay .

https://ebay.us/opI7Qa

Stated in the the description - 'Only selling as converting to electric!'

Seller has some Tesla parts for sale too - sounds like someone has an interesting project on the go ?

2. AliK

AliK
    Z Club Member
    Staff Member Moderator

As you say, would be interesting to see the outcome!

The sound of my Z had me at “hello”!!! But I wonder if it would be possible to get it 4WD and get the torque vectoring etc working properly. [emoji848]

3. Rob Gaskin

Rob Gaskin Treasurer Staff Member Moderator

Someone could buy that 'unit' to convert an electric car to Datsun power!

What do we think about the asking price? Seems reasonable (worth an offer) to me if it's 'all there' and a swap into a US car that's been standing for years. However it would sell better without the autobox included (as he probably knows).

AliK and Paul_S like this.
  4. Mr.G

Mr.G
    Z Club Member

AliK likes this.
  5. Nigel Brook

Nigel Brook Well-Known Forum User

In my opinion solely electric cars are a total waste of time, and a 240z! Words fail me. I thought one of the reasons people bought a Z was for that iconic exhaust noise.

AliK and moggy240 like this.
  6. Rob Gaskin

Yep it doesn't make sense to me either. Electric cars are commuter cars.

Also a converted car is only going to be a huge compromise surely.

AliK likes this.
  7. AD240Z

AD240Z
    Z Club Member

8. richiep

richiep
    Z Club Member

£1900 reasonable???!!!! Since when for a standard used L24? Forget the auto box/boat anchor. Anything above 800 quid languishes on eBay for months/years. There have been other L24s priced at high three or into four figures that have just sat there. That's a good indicator IMO.

AliK likes this.
  9. Mr Tenno

Mr Tenno
    ZClub Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

It is pretty crazy money, I'd only consider that kind of money for a used one if it was the original one for my car!

(L24-109067 - I know you're out there somewhere!)

AliK and Paul_S like this.
  10. Mr.G

Mr.G
    Z Club Member

It is crazy money but so is having your car converted to electric, I guess the irony of asking so much for a gasoline engine that is being swapped for electric is that it's still being viewed as a valued commodity. A bit of an oxymoron on the electric car converters part.

AliK likes this.
  11. Rob Gaskin

It's easy spending other people's money.:p

If it's a good L24 with carbs, alternator, fuel pump, a/c pump, dizzy and gearbox then it can go straight into a US car. It's worth a bit of negotiation but if you are the kind of owner that can't rebuild engines how much are you going to spend on a bare clapped-out L24 to get it running?

Anyway 'at the end of the day' it will find it's value.

12. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

ooh, I think thats prob the number on my spare L24. or will be soon. £2k you say? [emoji6]

AliK and Mr Tenno like this.
  13. johnymd

johnymd
    Z Club Member

Mileage doesn't look tooo bad at 544k!!!

AliK, Mark N and Rob Gaskin like this.
  14. moggy240

moggy240 INSURANCE VALUATIONS OFFICER Staff Member Moderator

I don't like electric converted classics, it's just wrong. Takes all the fun away and it sooo expensive to do.

AliK likes this.
  15. Mark N

Mark N
    Z Club Member

After the conversion, I'm sure it will be very fast but soulless.
    For me, the driving experience is all about sensory inputs.
    The noise and smell of the engine/fuel along with thrill of optimizing gear changes on a twisty road would all be replaced with the whine of a motor.
    A great sounding engine will always bring a smile to my face.
    I thoroughly appreciate the performance of electric vehicles but they just don't provoke the same the same emotions as their internal combustion counterparts.

toopy, SacCyclone, richiep and 4 others like this.
  16. Nigel Brook

Nigel Brook Well-Known Forum User

Just to add to my previous post on why I consider electric cars so utterly useless. Unless you have a charging facility at home charging the batteries will become a nightmare if you're travelling on any sort of journey (I note renault have introduced in car dashboard readouts to identify 'nearby' charging stations) What if when you get there (say 5 miles off route),assuming it's open you find someone using it for say min 1hour, what do you do but park up and wait, then charge yours for another min 1hr. Then after putting min 2 hrs on you journey time you can continue. Totally senseless. Hybrid maybe is the right way to go.

17. stuart barrie

stuart barrie
    Z Club Member

New electric charge location near me falkirk stadium space for 26 cars.
    Things are going electric for mainstream.
    L24 for fun.

peter_s likes this.