Konnichiwa from a new 240Z owner

tyroguru

Club Member
Hi!

I've been loitering on the forum for a little while now waiting for my 240Z to arrive but today is the big day and I'm now the very proud owner of a HLS30!! Huge thanks to Chris Vega for supplying this piece of green goodness (see pictures!) and Paul Henley for putting me in touch with Chris.

I'm going to be doing this with one of my sons and it's our first project car (and a project car it is!) so we have huge amounts to learn not only about the Marque but also about car mechanics in general. I've done some tinkering in the past but nothing of this magnitude so massive thanks in advance for any help you all can give me - I promise to try and do my due diligence first so my questions aren't too stupid...

As you can see from the photos we've got a bit to do but I'm sure it's going to be a fantastic voyage (straight to the asylum probably :) ).

IMG_9093.JPG

IMG_9122.JPG

IMG_9097.JPG

IMG_9117.JPG

IMG_9100.JPG

I work in London (Fitzrovia) so hopefully catch some of the fellow Z owners who commute at any meetups in town - sans cars obviously!

Jon.

(P.S. I need to look at how you embed photos hosted on photo services (Google specifically) I just failed miserably to do it. I've tried uploading and inserting the full image but I'm not convinced from the preview that this works either. We'll see I guess.)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Hiya Jon - photos look fine. This was the one for which I was awaiting photos until Chris said it was sold. Good luck.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Hi Jon, a blue car originally - do you plan to return it to that colour? How much rust does it have - not much, hopefully.
Great project to do you with your son - how old is he? Can he help with the heavy bits etc

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Jon, welcome to the Club and forum, glad to see car arrived with you OK.

Huge amount of collective knowledge and wisdom on here, everything you could need, although aside from Albrecht, probably not too many know what Konnichiwa means - well at least I had to look it up :blush:

Rust UKFB66 ? One small patch on the drivers side dogleg, that aside, body/chassis very original, straight and rust free.
Original colour you picked up from the tranny tunnel, halfway through auto to manual swap hence visible.

Big thanks from me to Paul as well :thumbs:
Your car on show at the NEC show last month has generated a lot of interest in the model.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I knew if it was coming via you Chris the rust wouldn't be much to speak about ... but all original Zs have some rust :D

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
I knew if it was coming via you Chris the rust wouldn't be much to speak about ... but all original Zs have some rust :D

It's quite common to find Zs that have perfect original floors, doors, sills, arches, chassis legs, slam panels etc but the damn dog legs have blisters, always the first place to show a weakness. Not a big deal and an easy fix.

tyroguru

Club Member
Hi Jon, a blue car originally - do you plan to return it to that colour? How much rust does it have - not much, hopefully.
Great project to do you with your son - how old is he? Can he help with the heavy bits etc

Hi Mike - yes, apparently it started life as Blue Metallic 307 but I've absolutely no idea what color I'll paint it in - it's certainly better than the current green! I plan to live with it for a while as I get to know everything a lot better and hopefully I'll have more of an idea then.

My son is 19 and at Uni so he's just about to disappear for the Summer term which is a shame in some ways but I'm sure he won't miss too much progress on the car. I have 3 boys at that age so what I lose in enormous expenses I gain some back because surely I won't need an engine lift as they have to do something to earn their keep! :)

tyroguru

Club Member
Hi Jon, welcome to the Club and forum, glad to see car arrived with you OK.

Huge amount of collective knowledge and wisdom on here, everything you could need, although aside from Albrecht, probably not too many know what Konnichiwa means - well at least I had to look it up :blush:

I thought I'd keep the Japanese theme going! That's virtually exhausted my meagre collection of Japanese words though...

I hadn't noticed but the car had AC installed - well, very partially installed as a number of items were missing but it was confusing me as to what the various hoses and pipes were as well as the strange looking radiator (the condenser) :). I've spent the evening taking it out so as to improve my power to weight ratio!

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Kon Banwa! :)

Looks like a cracking project with lots to be done, I admire your willingness to throw yourself at such a big project. What are your long term plans for the car? OEM type restoration or some modern features and modifications creeping in as well?

Interesting and strangely cool colour as well!

tyroguru

Club Member
Kon Banwa! :)

Looks like a cracking project with lots to be done, I admire your willingness to throw yourself at such a big project. What are your long term plans for the car? OEM type restoration or some modern features and modifications creeping in as well?

Interesting and strangely cool colour as well!

Hi Mark - thanks! I have an awfully naive belief that I can tackle anything given enough time and it’ll probably put me in a padded cell here [emoji3] . We’re having a great time so far though.

No idea at all what the long term holds for the car. I tend to have a disposition for power (my motorbike has more HP than this car did new!) so not sure if something bigger in the engine department won’t happen somewhere in the future but that’s speculation. It’s about a whole lot more than power though isn’t it. I still can’t believe how incredible it looks in the flesh. Crazy.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I admire your bravery, its the right can do attitude to have.

Well be sure to keep the thread updated, we like seeing what's going on. What sort of bikes do you have? You're spot on when you say these aren't all about power but they really can make good power with deep enough pockets. I've done everything but spec the engine now so long term we'll see, they are just spectactular to look at though!

tyroguru

Club Member
I have two machines that have two wheels and an engine though I hesitate to call one a motorbike :) , I have an old knackered Suzuki Burgman that I use to get to the station every day and I have a BMW S1000R (no prizes for guessing which makes the power!).

Getting everything in the garage and still having enough space to work on the car has been a monumental challenge!

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I have a BMW S1000R (no prizes for guessing which makes the power!).

Getting everything in the garage and still having enough space to work on the car has been a monumental challenge!

Nothing will ever have enough power by comaprison! :EXTRAeek: They're absolute weapons....

Same for us all, I'd give anything for some decent workshop space!