Koni's

jj260z

Well-Known Forum User
Hi

I have a pair of konis 8641 1060 sports

I've been told they fit the rear of the 260z 2+2

Except there 100mm shorter then the ones I've pulled out.

I assume these need to be modified to fit.

I've read there for the 300zx is this true?

If they need to be modified how do you do it?

These were bought brand new.

Any help would be great. I'm slightly pissed off to be honest as everything was going so well considering the cars around 37 years old and was expecting a few sheared bolts at the least.

jj260z

Well-Known Forum User
So pictures to help

07FB8AA6-133B-4199-95C7-F947C220185D-4234-000009C130920A5F_zpsd2a77310.jpg

Konis are the yellows obviously!!

And the strut tube.

166FC3B0-6A28-4591-B2A9-22C89B7142E0-4234-000009C137AD4F5D_zps6e23a1b0.jpg

Thanks in advance

Mr.G

Club Member
You need to make up for the difference in height by cutting a piece of scaffolding or roll cage pipe to the required length and then inserted into the strut tube to act as a spacer.

Mr.G

Club Member
I've not tried it myself yet but I have plans on fitting some VW mk1 Golf GTi Bilsteins which like your Konis are shorter then the standard length struts. I would try to get your spacer's outside diameter to be as close to the inside diameter of the strut tube as possible.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've been told they fit the rear of the 260z 2+2

Except there 100mm shorter then the ones I've pulled out.

I'd check a bit more first. I'm no expert but I know 240Z struts are shorter than 260Z - could they be for a 240Z?

jj260z

Well-Known Forum User
They were sold as a fitment for a 260z 2x2 at no time did I mention anything about a 240. I even disscussed the build year.

Tbh I'm a bit pissed off. But anyway this is what I've got to work with.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I don't think there are any Konis that are a direct bolt-in for S30s, people that buy them either put a spacer on the bottom or section their struts.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
i am fairly sure the tokicos come with a spacer to fit on the bottom of rear shocks.
the spacer needs to fit on the bottom of the shocker to stop it from moving

Mr.F

Inactive
Check also the thread of the gland nut - the 260Z 2+2 version (and later 2 seater) have a bigger diameter strut tube. The insert will rely on the new gland nut for its upper support...
Some manufacturers supply both types of nut, but this is usually for the front where the differences are less critical lengthwise. The 2+2 and later rears are (as you can see) significantly longer than the 240Z and early 260Z.

Mr.F

Inactive
had three too choose from in the box.

If they are covering those eventualities it is odd that the spacers weren't provided also to make the kit complete.
Note that the Tokico spacers are heavy wall tubing machined to fit the projection on the bottom of the strut tube very tightly...

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I've read a lot of threads with people trying to make Koni shocks fit, makes you wonder why people don't just buy the right ones to start with if they are available!

zbloke

Club Member
I've read a lot of threads with people trying to make Koni shocks fit, makes you wonder why people don't just buy the right ones to start with if they are available!

Possibly because the ones I've listed are off car adjustable and only suitable for a small-ish drop in ride height, unless you have them modified, and the Koni Yellows found in the Golf/Scirroco/MR2 are on car adjustable and shorter anyway?

Personally, if I where looking for Koni's now I'd choose the 8610 1436 or 1437

jj260z

Well-Known Forum User
I thought I was buying the correct ones.

I ran through the requirements on the phone and was told that these would be the ones I needed.

I don't want to try and make them fit I want them too fit. I even said this is a 37 year old car that's most likely going to be a pain in the **** to do one let alone two. I don't want to find I have the wrong ones.

So it looks like I have to make up spacers. Or buy some.

Anyone got any ideas.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Possibly because the ones I've listed are off car adjustable and only suitable for a small-ish drop in ride height, unless you have them modified, and the Koni Yellows found in the Golf/Scirroco/MR2 are on car adjustable and shorter anyway?

Personally, if I where looking for Koni's now I'd choose the 8610 1436 or 1437

I see, that's rather inconvenient :(

jj260z - I didn't mean to sound like a smartass, sorry if it came across that way, not my intention!

It's not too difficult to make your own spacer, just make sure you use tubing of decent strength and that it's long enough so that the gland nut tightens down on the top of the shock body without bottoming out on the thread of the strut tube.

jj260z

Well-Known Forum User
Im not upset with anyone on here trust me. Least if all yourself.

I'm more pissed of the information I was told to be true and accurate to be false and misleading. I hate a guy feeling there were wrong.

It appears however they are "correct" so to speak just need the spacers.

It's the wasted time in the garage and the extra expense to make up said spacers an a re visit to the garage again that's a pain. I spent some time planning this and just a bit upset that's all.

Oh well sounds like and easy fix. Figures crossed