Koni adjustable inserts - what setting / how to set up

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Laying in bed with insomnia, excited about getting home from holidays and finishing the Z to drive, I am thinking about how to set up the new shocks.

Obviously I plan to start on the softest setting and learning how the car behaves with them first. But anyone who knows me knows that I will then be spending HOURS pulling over in lay-bys and messing with them and driving off again, pulling over again etc. Then developing a spreadsheet and spending hours obsessing about data ;) *joke* (well, sorta)!!

What I was really wondering about though is how those with adjustables have gone about setting theirs up and what they found to be optimal.

Now I know this is hugely subjective and dependent on springs, driving style, personal preference etc. But keen to know about any rules of thumb for setting up and the variations people have used on these shocks or indeed other adjustables.

For example, are you supposed to have them set up identically or harder / softer at one end of the car than the other? Given that the adjustment screw goes 720degrees, do you go in quarter turns or halves or less? Are the adjustments linear or geometric in response to the turns? The Koni instructions ate similar to ikea instructions and not massively informative! I am thinking quarters give me 8 “settings” and would be easy to judge (no clicks on these shocks, just a smooth rotation).

I guess the firmer you go, the better handling you get at the expense of ultimate traction and comfort. Especially as these are only rebound adjustable and you can start bottoming out the car.

I welcome any input / experiences.

Some links of interest ...

https://www.turnology.com/tech-stor...ps-with-the-essentials-of-basic-shock-tuning/

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2018...-shocks-on-dual-purpose-street-and-race-cars/

https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAmerica/Technology/Adjustment-Guides/

Last edited:

peter_s

Club Member
I have my front dampers set softer than the rear ones. I was struggling with rear grip last time on track.

It's a good start.

Great links there, some really good info

Bazzateer

Club Member
I only have experience with GAZ adjustables on my Imp. I started with the middle setting on all the dampers and increased/decreased as appropriate until I had the set up I wanted. They had definite clicks as you adjusted them so it was easy to get them even. More damping on the rear of the Imp due to the weight of the engine.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks for all the advice gents! [emoji106]

Wow JB, that seems quite firm! Is the ride as hard as your COVID haircut!? [emoji12] Seriously though, testing them without springs off the car they seemed to return mega slowly on the nearly two turns setting.

I also like the idea of starting in the middle and going each way.

Last edited:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Thanks for all the advice gents! [emoji106]

Wow JB, that seems quite firm! Is the ride as hard as your COVID haircut!? [emoji12] Seroously though, testing them without springs off the cat they seemed to return mega slowly on the nearly two turns setting.

I also like the idea of starting in the middle and going each way.
less than that didnt seem to do anything.

Huw

Club Member
I have a heavier car than you Ali. Mine are set to 1.5 turn from minimum on the front and 1.75 turns on the back. That works for me.