Knocking coming from steering rack end?

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hi all,

I've finally isolated a random knock I've been hearing, especially when going slowly over a speed bump. Appears to be coming from the end of the steering rack (I've already replaced the ball joints and tie rod ends).

I'm currently compiling a parts list, so welcome any tips additions for my list. Hoping I don't have to replace the steering rack itself. Has anyone had to deal with this issue before? I'm wondering if simply replacing the inner tie rod ends may fix the problem?

Thanks as always, Graeme

IMG_5899.jpeg Screenshot 2020-09-20 at 19.36.35.png

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
is there play? have you checked the rack bushings first?

Yes. If I rock the wheels left and right, I can feel it. Also, having a friend (Stuart) do it, I could feel the knock at the inner tie rod end. Don’t have any play with my steering wheel though really.

You mean the bushes on the steering column? They seemed ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wally

Club Member
Could be the rack end bushing? On the one I've just pulled apart the non-pinion side had little to no wear but the pinion side had nearly a mm of wear.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Could be the rack end bushing? On the one I've just pulled apart the non-pinion side had little to no wear but the pinion side had nearly a mm of wear.

Not sure what you mean by the rack end bushing? Do you mean the ones which hold the rack to the subframe?

Wally

Club Member
There are bronze/brass bushes which sit at the ends of the casing which the rack slides within.

Located in here
000e2702b33bea1f69d81163bc3eb5a9.jpg

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
There are bronze/brass bushes which sit at the ends of the casing which the rack slides within.

Located in here
000e2702b33bea1f69d81163bc3eb5a9.jpg

Ah ok, I see what you mean. You can buy those?

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
if the track rod has play, I think you'd notice wandering steering - does it steer normally?

Wally

Club Member
Would you mind sharing what precisely you ordered and from where?

I'm not sure what I've ordered will be much help to you as mine is a 260z rack. I litteraly grabbed a caliper out and measured it.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
In terms of my knocking sounds, I'm wondering if anyone has experience of this. I believe the issue to be either 1) the inner tie rods or 2) the steering rack itself. I could very well end up replacing the inner tie rods, only to discover it's not fixed the issue. I then need to buy a whole steering rack, which will come with the inner tie rods. Is steering rack replacement on a Z quite common place? I've got a note on a garage receipt dating back to 2015 (when it was in America), referencing an issue with the steering rack. Not sure what to do.

Wally

Club Member
In terms of my knocking sounds, I'm wondering if anyone has experience of this. I believe the issue to be either 1) the inner tie rods or 2) the steering rack itself. I could very well end up replacing the inner tie rods, only to discover it's not fixed the issue. I then need to buy a whole steering rack, which will come with the inner tie rods. Is steering rack replacement on a Z quite common place? I've got a note on a garage receipt dating back to 2015 (when it was in America), referencing an issue with the steering rack. Not sure what to do.

If yours is LHD I've got a spare steering rack plus tie rods kicking around if it comes to it.