Knocking. Argh

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
So my car had developed a knocking at the rear drivers side. Constant over bumps although I cannot replicate it when bouncing up and down on the car when stood still.
I’ve replaced all the bushes I can.

it seems worse when full of jungle juice. ie heavier in the back.
Any ideas? It’s driving me insane.

could be shock??? But can’t feel it when holding the top of strut in boot

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
strut top mount bolts tight? all bolts tight - moustache bar and inner and outer A arm bolt?
might also be worth looking at whether your handbrake cables or fuel lines might be banging on the floor.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
strut top mount bolts tight? all bolts tight - moustache bar and inner and outer A arm bolt?
might also be worth looking at whether your handbrake cables or fuel lines might be banging on the floor.
Yes all tight
In fact I changed moustache bar bushes and all others as was sure this was the issue.
Funny enough the handbrake cable was lose and though it might contributing, but no.
It’s quite a hard knock.

Farmer42

Club Member
Sounds like you need to get someone in the boot whilst you are driving to pinpoint the area where it is coming from. As a last suggestion, is the rear hatch closed tight? As the seals bed down over time, the catch sometimes needs adjusting. It can cause a knock that sound like its from underneath.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
Sounds like you need to get someone in the boot whilst you are driving to pinpoint the area where it is coming from. As a last suggestion, is the rear hatch closed tight? As the seals bed down over time, the catch sometimes needs adjusting. It can cause a knock that sound like its from underneath.

Yes that’s a plan.
Rear hatch seal all new and hatch very tight.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
it could be the dampers. if you were to take off the top centre nut from the rear struts, does the damper fall?

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
it could be the dampers. if you were to take off the top centre nut from the rear struts, does the damper fall?
I’ve wondered about this as it is that type of annoying knock.

they’re Gaz, not done many miles but more than possible.

So do I jack the load off the car or leave under load?

should be fun retrieving the rod if it does fall. Lol

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I'd leave it loaded. If they're new, maybe the nut isn't tight in the first place?
also could try rattling the damper around by reaching through the spring.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
If a damper knocks (which I had on an Avenger) I could detect it when lightly bouncing the car. Put your ear on the body.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
I recently had some knocking on the front end, which I had thought might be related to my steering rack. However, i recently started the job to install my BC coilovers. I’d had the suspension off before, but never noticed anything majorly wrong with it. However, once I had removed them again for the coilovers and my friend Stuart was doing the welding, he observed that the suspension was pretty knackered. Shocks largely gone, and some strange attempt at lowering with a spring that was a) too soft and b) not the right diameter. My knocking was most definitely coming from the suspension. Have you replaced any parts on your suspension yet?

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
I recently had some knocking on the front end, which I had thought might be related to my steering rack. However, i recently started the job to install my BC coilovers. I’d had the suspension off before, but never noticed anything majorly wrong with it. However, once I had removed them again for the coilovers and my friend Stuart was doing the welding, he observed that the suspension was pretty knackered. Shocks largely gone, and some strange attempt at lowering with a spring that was a) too soft and b) not the right diameter. My knocking was most definitely coming from the suspension. Have you replaced any parts on your suspension yet?

Yes basically everything though coilovers sone 5/6 yrs back