Justin Case, I wonder if...

Ninehigh

Well-Known Forum User
Looking at a Z31 that's been standing for many years, and everything I can see looks in reasonable nick (i.e. nothing I can't repair)

However the thought occurs to me that the engine might be fubarred.

The non-turbo model is (according to wikipedia) rated at 153bhp, and the ford Duratec (out of Mondeo ST150/170/others) have comparable outputs. I'm wondering how fubarred it would have to be to be worth doing and what drawbacks there would be in doing so?

Quagmire

Well-Known Forum User
The UK Z31 na power rating is more like 170HP as far as I'm aware, also why would you want to drop a ford engine into a Z31??? :O

Ninehigh

Well-Known Forum User
Oh, I stand corrected. I am thinking of it as a replacement to an engine that is completely cream crackered though (it has been standing 8 years at least)

Would there be any other alternative? I wouldn't be after more power but I'm thinking a more modern engine would be more economical/lighter

Nidge74

New Forum User
You could try and go for the Z32 3.0n/a

Odds are the engine will be fine, unless that's why it was dumped in the first place.

Pretty solid engines really

Quagmire

Well-Known Forum User
a four cylinder engine in a Z31 just doesn't sound right to me, tis a big car and needs a big motor IMO.

I have to agree with Nidge on this, if the engine has just been sitting odds are if you oil the bores and let it soak before turning it over by hand it'll be ok.

Ninehigh

Well-Known Forum User
In that case there might not be a problem, as I know it was running before it started its marathon "not being sold" session.

So would oiling the bores be a "cylinder head off" job?

zpuppy

Well-Known Forum User
oil down the plug holes , and like i mentioned in a previous thread, keep an eye on the oil seals as they are probably dry as dust ! :thumbs: