Just to say hello

nealc

Club Member
Have been a member for quite a while but have never posted till now, just been reading what you have to say about the various car and trying to decide what model to go for. With rust being the biggest problem looks like it is going to be an American import and convert to R.H.D and I really do like 2.8 injection motors so it looks like that's what it is going to be, just a matter of waiting for the right 280z to come along notin any rush don't want any think to good if it's going to be altered,

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I know of a 280Z already over here that the owner is looking to sell.

Currently in white primer but looks very clean from pictures... has fender flares and the JDM look if that's your thing..

Dan

richiep

Club Member
Worth noting that RHD conversion of a 280Z will not be as straightforward as doing a 240Z or early 260Z. The 280Z has few similarities with other contemporary versions (wiring is vastly different and more complex for example), so you'll need to factor in a lot more fiddling. You won't be able to just bash in the RHD bits and loom from a UK 240Z or 260Z.

Also, on the engine side, the 280Z injected L28 is compromised for emission control etc. It makes it more of a cruiser compared to what can be achieved with an L28 with carbs or especially ITBs. Whatever floats your boat though. Just don't try a traffic light Grand Prix against a tuned L28 on triples! :)

nealc

Club Member
yes there was a lot of emission control for the American market the plan is to only use some of the injection system I really have the urge to try one of those Mega-squirt engine management systems I like the challenge of the electrical side more than the mechanical, going for a Z because I have all ways liked the styling of the Z from when I was a kid in the 70's they just look good.

SacCyclone

Club Member
The 280's in the states are still scarce in nice condition due to rust and abuse.

Look for 75-78 as the US 1979 models changed to ZX.

I have been watching for a few years for a really clean 280 Zed in California for under $10 and have not bought one yet.

Project 280's can be had for $2500 to $5500 with little to no rust but may be the way to go if you are going to build your own anyway. Shipping to the UK still a chunk of change.

Good luck with the search and if you see something in the states send me a link and I can look it over or make a call for you.

Cheers, Mike