Just followed a 350z roadster

Russ

Club Member
On the bike and they sound really nice, I was a bit surprised really. Seems that there is no substitute for a few more cc than the competition.

Definately in the same vein as the 240 et al :D Hand standard exhaust on it, shame I didn't have any club flyers on the bike :)

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
I've seen video clips on the net of of bikes & Z's did you film sequence?:D DJZ 60.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Russ said:
Definately in the same vein as the 240 et al

But the S30s were quicker at Japfest and I reckon that once, more 350Z owners see what S30s can do, we'll have a new generation of S30 wanters ! Z33 for 'everyday' and an S30 for those fun track days !

What do you think ? When I test drove a 350 coupé - it was nice, fun, more fun for the money than most modern sportscars out there but would I swap it even for a standard Z ? No way !

TheMinel

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
But the S30s were quicker at Japfest and I reckon that once, more 350Z owners see what S30s can do, we'll have a new generation of S30 wanters ! Z33 for 'everyday' and an S30 for those fun track days !

What do you think ? When I test drove a 350 coupé - it was nice, fun, more fun for the money than most modern sportscars out there but would I swap it even for a standard Z ? No way !

wooooo hold on mate that's a bold statement..... standard S30 vs standard Z33 around a track, same driver? doubt the S30 would come up on top.

Same for track prepared cars, and even 1/4 mile focused cars. Now if you are saying that LESS people are willing to put lots of money to do the mods needed to make the Z33 a VERY quick track and 1/4 mile car, that's another story, and I would agree with you :)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
TheMinel said:
wooooo hold on mate that's a bold statement..... standard S30 vs standard Z33 around a track? doubt the S30 would come up on top.

Same for track prepared cars, and even 1/4 mile focused cars. Now if you are saying that LESS people are willing to put lots of money to do the mods needed to make the Z33 a VERY quick track and 1/4 mile car, that's another story, and I would agree with you :)
Yes I am - why spend more when you've got a very nice package as standard ! Better to put that money into a nice track S30 - no ?

And there weren't any standard S30s going around the track faster than Z33s - were there ?

What are the two power to weight ratios of standard S30s and Z33s ? And then add whatever a 200bhp S30 has as a ratio ? Lighter is better (on the track) !

Russ

Club Member
Thing is Sean there are 35 years between them, and modern cars have to survive crashes, have low emissions etc etc. To produce a car of same nowadays would be simply impossible if you wanted to meet legislation. But I think spiritually it's there, even if the driving experience and such is very different.

Shame it was a convertible though.... and he tried to out accelerate me, sounded nice though ;)

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Russ said:
Thing is Sean there are 35 years between them, and modern cars have to survive crashes, have low emissions etc etc. To produce a car of same nowadays would be simply impossible if you wanted to meet legislation.

No-one's saying to produce an S30 nowadays (that's why so many are modernising themselves an S30 with V8s, electric windows, aircon. etc) !

What I'm saying Russ is that a typical club S30 will be quicker on a track than a standard Z33 ! Sorry you guys but I believe what I believe - ask Rob Gaskin ;) !

Russ

Club Member
But my point is mon ami that the 350z is going to be a lot heavier due to the crashability :) All that emission gear is going to restrict their performance a little and weigh something. We all know weight is the real killer when it comes to performance in all ways.

If you could ignore the legislation then it's drive circles around a 240 I reckon :)

Still I wouldn't bother with one as a track day car, in fact I'd sooner strip a 300zx TT and go at it with that :) Z33 would make a lovely every day car though.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
And my point AGAIN Russ is that I don' care why the'yre slower (I know why) and people have chosen them for speed AND comfort and value for money V. the opposition !

I said lighter is better ! You don't have to ignore legistalation Russ - a 240Z IS legal :conf2: !

Do you think a stripped out 'track' Z32 will beat an S30 ........? Sure it'll be fun but......

Yep, that's why people have bought 'em - to use everyday. And that's why it's nice (I think) to have an S30 for fun days - have a change and take it to the track :D !

TheMinel

Well-Known Forum User
stripped track prepped Z33 vs stripped track prepped S30 on a track. no contest mate. Z33 any day

same for standard S30 vs standard Z33 on a track

I actually can not believe you really think a 35 yo car would beat a new car both in standard guises. In fact the idea makes me laugh a bit :)

in the US many thousands of people bought the Z33 JUST for track use, after being prepped. Now you'll tell me the Z33 chassis is worse than an S30 from standard?

Again, what's the point in comparing a stock car vs a track prepped one I don't know. It's like comparing an aplpe and an orange. :)

PS if I wanted to buy a trackday car I'd buy an exige of similar, not a track prepped 35yo car mate ;)
PPS what's with comparing them @ japfest? were they driven by the same person? how many Z33 were there? comparing track prepped vs stock again?

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ

Club Member
Sean: I meant legislation for manufacturers.

TheMinel: That's a bit blinkered? :) What's age got to do with anything?? Would you have a Ford GT40 on Ford GT? I'd take the 40+ yr old GT40 any day.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Got ya Russ but it don't change anything - we know why they're heavier and it don't help !

TheMinel - this is more like it :) !

TheMinel said:
stripped track prepped Z33 vs stripped track prepped S30 on a track. no contest mate. Z33 any day

same for standard S30 vs standard Z33 on a track

I actually can not believe you really think a 35 yo car would beat a new car both in standard guises. In fact the idea makes me laugh a bit :)

in the US many thousands of people bought the Z33 JUST for track use, after being prepped. Now you'll tell me the Z33 chassis is worse than an S30 from standard?

You're serious here ?:eek:

Besides, who's gonna strip out their nice cosy Z33, electric motors everywhere, arico. bum warmers, err....power steering, sound insulation, that enormous strut bar in the back when that's why you've bought it - so you're comfy all year round ? Won't happen for at least another 10 years when their price has dropped !

I don't care what they did in the USA - the 240Zs over there didn't have the same diffs, gearboxes, engine compressions as us and they didn't even have rear anti-roll bars - you can't compare them either to UK standard cars !

TheMinel said:
Again, what's the point in comparing a stock car vs a track prepped one I don't know. It's like comparing an aplpe and an orange. :)
The idea was to compare a brand new (or at least current) 280bhp Z to a 30+ year old Z with less weight but less power also - a fair comparison considering that the older car hasn't got 6 gears, power steering, ESP or ABS !

TheMinel said:
PS if I wanted to buy a trackday car I'd buy an exige of similar, not a track prepped 35yo car mate ;)
Can you enlarge upon that please ?

TheMinel said:
PPS what's with comparing them @ japfest? were they driven by the same person? how many Z33 were there? comparing track prepped vs stock again?
Not on the defensive here I hope - at least not yet ;) !

There were no real track prepped Zs there - all were MOT'd road cars that are principally for the road with all the creature comforts that one can expect in a 35 year old car !

Beginnings of a track challenge.......?:cool:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I'll go up against a Z33 anyday, even a stripped out modified one !

BTW - what weight do you think a stripped out one will drop to ?

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
I'll go up against a Z33 anyday, even a stripped out modified one !

BTW - what weight do you think a stripped out one will drop to ?

sorry to pee on ya fireworks mate but you aint got a car yet!:rolleyes:

Russ

Club Member
Well seeing as no body probably knows I did some Gran Turismo comparisons (lol), this is the weights it gave.

240z standard - 1010kg
240z stripped - 888kg
350z standard - 1320kg
350z stripped - 1122kg

Don't think those figures sound right...?

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
1040 for a standard 240Z !
888 is really pushing it - bigger brakes = more weight plus other performance bits ! Call it 950 - 1000 for a stripped down AND modded S30 !

For the others, I don't know but 1350 I thought was the weight for a Z33 !

Either way, it shows that a Z33 has a big kgs handicap!!!!!!! :(

Russ

Club Member
But twice the bhp (at least on the 2006 model).

Or are we allowed common mods to bring it up to date?