Just bought a Z31, so Hi everyone

CrashCourse

Active Forum User
As above, I've just bought a 1984 Z31 which has been lying unloved, in a garage for the past eight years. It's certainly not a mint, pristine or even very good example but I reckon that it is a feasible project to keep me out of trouble.

The chassis number says that it is a normally aspirated model but it has a turbo decal on the tailgate, a V6 turbo throttle cover, an OEM boost gauge and most important....a turbo.

At first glance, it needs an OSF wing (a secondhand wing came with the car), the rear quarters are quite rusty ( so repair panels from MJP will be needed), a battery, two front tyres and a damn good clean up.

No doubt there will be a lot more to do but It only got dropped off Monday night and this weekend will be the first real chance to give it a good look over (weather permitting).

Only a couple of photos so far - here you are...

DSC_09001.jpg.html

Attachments

• DSC_0901.jpg
    DSC_0901.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
  • DSC_0900.jpg
    DSC_0900.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 71

racer

Club Member
I think a closer inspection is needed. Have you checked the vin numbers on the car? Do you have any more pictures?

Mr.F

Inactive
Appearance definitely 02/87 onwards. Having cross-checked the VIN it shows 03/84...
Check the stamped VIN on the bulkhead (not the riveted plate)!

chappo123

Well-Known Forum User
Welcome.

Saw that one for sale - did wonder if it was turbo or not - has the appearance of an 87 turbo but is/was an 84 na.

The spare wing was also from the earlier model ie not the same as the ones currently on.

Good luck with it - hope it is in working order.

cheers

Steve

CrashCourse

Active Forum User
Hmmm, found it - something smells....
The stamped vin on the bulkhead has been cut through and then covered with filler and painted over.
It looks like this has been done many years ago, what have I got?

I looked at the seat belts for date tags but nothing there, is there any other way of identifying the shell?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The stamped vin on the bulkhead has been cut through and then covered with filler and painted over.

I looked at the seat belts for date tags but nothing there, is there any other way of identifying the shell?

Once again this is where Car Clubs can be so useful.

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User

My guess is a stolen '87 car. They probably only had the ID of an 84 car so they did it anyway as the police wouldn't know the difference I suppose.

I don't know if that creates a problem or not, if it looks like it was done a long time ago..... Are you still in contact with the person you bought it from?

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
It might be worth seeking some advice from your local Constabulary. Try to keep some anonymity from them though, some within the police force can get over excited about this sort of stuff. Alternatively, forget about it lol. Who knows, if the conservatives stay in, it may even become entitled to historic car tax exemption. HAHA!

P.S When I say advice from the feds, I don't mean specific. I mean in general, what is the sketch for someone in your position. Sort of 'what if?'

CrashCourse

Active Forum User
The previous owners bought the car in the same condition at least twelve years ago and thought that it was an eighty four non turbo.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
Have you got any photos of where the vin should be on the bulkhead? I'm curious what it has had done to it and what it looks like now. Are there any traces of the original vin at all?