Jumping out of fifth

Wrighty

Club Member
My 240 has suddenly begun to jump out of fifth gear when accelerating hard. It seems to cruise all day without a problem, but try accelerating hard and the lever jumps out. No problem with the other gears. Any ideas?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I understand this happens fairly often and has happened to me. A nut on the mainshaft can become loose and cause gears to move sideways.

Dismantle and fix?

I replaced my gearbox and later went to an Nissan S14 gbox..

Last edited:

Wrighty

Club Member
I understand this happens fairly often and has happened to me. A nut on the mainshaft can become loose and cause gears to move sideways.

Dismantle and fix?

I replaced my gearbox and later went to Nissan S14 gbox..
Thanks Rob, I shall investigate

Wrighty

Club Member
I got replacement nuts made for both shafts and that has partially fixed the problem but there Is wear on the teeth of the fifth selector gear and I need a better replacement. Anyone got a good one or know where I can get one please? This urgent. I need to get back behind the wheel!

Attachments

• 65987C3B-F740-4F26-A996-6A1FCB75EA8D.jpeg
    65987C3B-F740-4F26-A996-6A1FCB75EA8D.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 14

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I got replacement nuts made for both shafts and that has partially fixed the problem but there Is wear on the teeth of the fifth selector gear and I need a better replacement. Anyone got a good one or know where I can get one please? This urgent. I need to get back behind the wheel!
@Paul Atkinson has some (240z?) gearbox internals, he might be able to help.