Jtuner Magazine thrash invite

Bryn@Jtuner

Active Forum User
Hi,

As you can see from my username I work for Jtuner magazine, hopefully you’ll be aware of the magazine by now and the ‘thrash’ type feature we run each month. For those of you who haven’t seen it, we get eight owners together for a fourteen-page feature in the magazine highlighting the tuning potential of a certain model.

So we’d like to get eight of you to come to Bruntingthorpe proving ground in Leicestershire for a day with the timing gear and a two-mile straight…

First thing to say is that it’s a no stress day out :cool: , we attach Datron satellite activated timing gear to the car and you have four attempts at getting times you’re happy with from a standing start, these are in succession and there isn’t time to swap gear between cars and runs I’m afraid. It’s up to you how hard or easy you want to take it, we record 0-60, 0-100, ¼ mile with terminal speed and top speed.

The main emphasis of the day is to show you the owners and your cars in a positive way, encouraging non-owners to read and learn more about your chosen Japanese motor.

So, here’s the deal.

*Aside from any travel expenses you might incur the day is completely free for you. We pay for the track and timing gear.

*We are strictly limited to one car on track at any time and eight cars on track in a holding area plus our own. So no spectator cars, support vehicles etc. No exceptions.

*We deliberately book these days with short notice so people don’t build or modify cars especially for the day, sorry if that doesn’t fit in with you personal circumstances but there will be further opportunities in the future.

*Bruntingthorpe has a strict noise policy in place, with an 89Db limit at 4000rpm. If you have a very noisy exhaust it may be worth doing something about it before coming. We have had 600-800bhp turbocharged cars go through okay, so it’s not as strict as you may think.

*We will be on track all day, 9.30am start, there is a café and toilet located at the other end of the track, but this is two miles away. So come prepared with food and drink.

*It might sound stupid, but you will do upwards of 17miles on track, so make sure you’ve got enough fuel, including getting to the nearest petrol station when leaving (it’s ten miles to some Optimax)

Right, if any of that sounds appealing we’ve got a date, and it’s next week… Thursday the 15th. So what do you say? Anybody game for it? Eight cars would be great…:)

Here’s a link to Bruntingthorpe’s website, so you know where you’re going.

http://www.bruntingthorpe.com/

I hope this is of interest to you, we’ll all be there and look forward to meeting you. These days are our highpoint each month as they’re always good fun.

Cheers, Bryn :D

240z

Club Member
would love to be there, but car won't be ready I don't think :eek:

I'll have a quick work with the painters though....

Bryn@Jtuner

Active Forum User
Tony 260Z said:
Ooof.... 89Db at 4000... Not sure about that :-(

Yeah it is scary, but we had some of the biggest power Skylines in the country through there a couple of months back. The only main concern is the drive-by meter on the far side of the track, which you can slow down for... ;)

Oh, by the way... Loving this smilie :S30:

Russ

Club Member
Bryn: Is this specific to any model of Z? With 8 cars you could get a 240, 260, 260 2+2, 280zx, Z31, Z32 and 350Z from this club, and only double up on one car :)

Have seen the feature and always look favourable on the owners, even if they have a crap day and everything goes wrong it's never shown as bad, just 'better luck next time, will need to fix this'.

Go for it lads :)

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
As you can see from my username I work for Jtuner magazine, hopefully you’ll be aware of the magazine by now and the ‘thrash’ type feature we run each month. For those of you who haven’t seen it, we get eight owners together for a fourteen-page feature in the magazine highlighting the tuning potential of a certain model.
Bryn this is a multi model car club. Are you just interested in one model??
If so which one....
240Z
260Z
280ZX
300ZX Z31
300ZX Z32
350Z.
Or do you want a selection of the avove?
If you are interested in having a rare variant 300ZX Z32 there then I can attend.
Im already at Bruntingthorpe later in the summer for a charity event but some extra miles wont go amiss.

Bryn@Jtuner

Active Forum User
Sorry guys, been a bit random there :confused: . How about we do two?

200 series cars and 300 series cars?

So 240Z, 260Z and 280ZX

Then

300ZX, both Z31 and Z32.

I think we should leave the 350Z alone for now and do a stand alone day for these in the future.

So, two thrashes for the price of one? How 'bout that... We have another couple of days available to us at the moment, Weds 21st and Thursday 22nd. These are provisional and I'd still like to do one on the 15th (next thursday), so maybe the two series cars next week and three the week after? Unless you can all get there next week?

We try to do two in a day, with two photographers and two sets of timing gear. So essentially two seperate features, we're also trying to round up Mitsubishi GT's and CRX Honda's.

I guess it would be good to get you all along on one day so you can meet up, and do the other two another time.

Let me know your thoughts, sorry for the confusion.

Wyn

Club Member
I’ll deffo be there in my 240z if I can book the time off (think 21-22 would be earliest)
Just a few questions

Bryn@Jtuner said:
Hi,

*We are strictly limited to one car on track at any time. So no spectator cars, support vehicles etc. No exceptions.

Cheers, Bryn :D

Fine….. but can cars be trailerd there prov the car/trailers are left down nr the main gates?
No spectator cars fine but are spectators/partners allowed there to film/watch?
Cheers

Bryn@Jtuner

Active Forum User
900ss said:
I’ll deffo be there in my 240z if I can book the time off (think 21-22 would be earliest)
Just a few questions

Fine….. but can cars be trailerd there prov the car/trailers are left down nr the main gates?
No spectator cars fine but are spectators/partners allowed there to film/watch?
Cheers

That's exactly how we like to run it... People aren't a problem, so what you've said is brilliant. It's the transport issue only, as we pay per car, per hour!

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
As an aside, we were already looking to talk to the 300ZX club,

Some of us are joint members!;) ;)

As far as dates go I can only do June 15th(thurs) as after that I will be too busy. Got York Dragway on Sun June 18th :bow: and the following Weekend I will be running at The Jap Show at Santa Pod.Jun 25th:bow: :bow:

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Bryn@Jtuner

I have a freind who was at your recent skyline day (in the wet) who told me all about the 20 car flyby that maxed out the dB meter;)

My cars a 73 240Z that consistantly runs mid 13's at the Pod (best being 13.48) and a 0-60 of 4.7 -- never tried the top speed per se but it has done over 140 on GPS.

I may be able to make the 22nd but doubtfull that I could do any earlier as I have to do an engine rebuild (again:mad: ) in between now and then, fingers crossed.

Unfortunately at the last noise test, we recorded 97dB at 4500 ---- I guess that extra 500 made all the differance, and it was Castle coombs noise meter which strangely enough seems to read higher than anywhere else;).

Wyn

Club Member
Best opt for the 22nd as well then if I can (will know 2mor if deffo) :cool:

Remind me again where the noise metre is
doh.gif
cry.gif

Will a carrier bag do, or should I bring a black bin liner to cover it
innocent.gif

MattDaKav

Well-Known Forum User
Bryn,

I'd love to bring my Z31 along, only problem might be getting time off work... & the fact that she purrs at 95DB @ 4500rpm with an added track day muffler! (NAs are louder than turbos)
BestPic22.jpg

Would be nice to get some numbers on her before I slap the tubby on.

Cheers,

Matt

Edit:
Forgot to say... Love the mag! I'm a subscriber... need to renew this month actually.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
I might be Able to make it next Thursday I will find out and report back tomorrow my car has a Packable rear box which should pass the noise test..
Be good to get her going Flat out and test my Nos on that straight..
Sounds great.
Nick

Bryn@Jtuner

Active Forum User
Right then guys, I'll wait for confirmed numbers over the next couple of days as they come in. I'm also going to post this up on the 300ZX forum... Hopefully this won't ruffle any feathers. It would be good to get a nice selection of 2's and 3's along... So any takers post on up :)

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
To confirm I am able to be there on the Thursday 15th without a problem.
Nick
Will wait to hear further instructions

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Geoff Gale would like to confirm that he can also come along on the 15th with his 240Z.
Thank-you

Bryn@Jtuner

Active Forum User
Zed2k said:
To confirm I am able to be there on the Thursday 15th without a problem.
Nick
Will wait to hear further instructions

Excellent, however Nick looking at the current take up what about this...

Just to keep you all up to speed. We'd like to do one thrash for you on that Thursday (15th) and one the following thursday (22nd) so we have some definition between the two. We did two Skyline thrashes in one day and it all got very confusing with picture mix ups etc.

So, dependant on how many can do each I suggest we go for 3 series cars next week and 2s the week after, I've also posted this on the 300ZX owners site, with the 15th as the date for you cross over guys.

Opinions? :)