john w s

john w s

New Forum User
Just been quoted £350 for P1 service on 350Z by Glyn Hopkin. Does that seem right. I have just bought the 2006 car with full main dealer service and would like to keep it up. The car has only done 23,000 miles from new. :unsure:

Throttleton

Well-Known Forum User
It's a good point to bring up. It depends on how long you intend to keep the car as I assume you want the history up to date for resale value??
My father bought a Porsche 944 turbo with 16000 miles on it and the service charges from Porshe were ridiculous, he found a well respected local co. who had built up a good reputation over the years for servicing Porshes....he took it there as it was much cheaper. He sold the car for book value later with no problems as the co. was known and respected and his book was stamped obviously.
The problem with dealers is the hourly rate is v. expensive for the same service....
I guess you need to think about when you will sell the car and what it will be worth when you do. If you keep the car for a few years and book value is only a few grand at that age, was it worth shelling out thousands in dealer costs???

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I reckon you could get it for £100 cheaper than that even at a main dealer.

Arkwright

Inactive
As a 350 owner I feel that is far too much. You have to be very careful of dealer prices. Read your handbook and see what is actually done on a P1 service and ask yourself am I willing to pay that much money for an oil change? Look at the age and current value of your car and ask if a stamped service book will add value to your car when you sell it. I doubt it very much. If you can't DIY then go to a local garage and you can get a bill to add to your service record for a lot less money.

Mr.F

Inactive
£350 for a P1 is outrageous - it is little more than an oil and filter change and a good check over!

john w s

New Forum User
Thanks for all the feed back. I had to go with the Glyn Hopkin quote as the car needed an MOT this week but I talked to them about the high cost of the service and pointed out that they were much higher than other main dealers and got the price down to £285. After dropping the car off this morning I phoned Martins of Winchester (Nissan main dealer) and was quoted £179 for a P1 with a special offer of £149. I then phoned Nissan UK and asked why their dealers servicing costs varied so much. They said they did not control pricing at their dealerships but would note what I had said. Then I got back to Glyn Hopkin and made them aware of the price Martins were quoting. They agreed to match the £149 but because they had already started the service and had done a fuel flush and conditioning which was extra (I hadn't asked for this) an additional cost of £49 would have to be added. At the end of the day it proves you have to shop around if you want to keep main dealer servicing as Nissan UK seem happy to let their dealers charge what they like. I still saved £152 though.:thumbs:

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
and had done a fuel flush and conditioning which was extra (I hadn't asked for this) an additional cost of £49

Whatever is that? I bet they just put a fuel additive in :unsure: It would be good to watch them do the Fuel Flush and Conditioning. Sounds a bit like the cosmetic adverts : 'because your worth it'!!

Nissan seem to like to do these 'add ons'. My mother-in-law has been conned like that too with her Micra.

Surely it's just another way of making money. As if the service isn't making enough for them! I wonder how much a 240Z service would be these days - replace contact breaker and set timing, adjust tappets, grease suspension .....

john w s

New Forum User
I agree, I thought my TVR was expensive on servicing but at £350 for a minor Nissan are getting close.