JIS or Japanese Standard Info

toopy

Club Member
While trying to source some JIS screws/bolts, i came across this little nugget of info, it was on a bike website, but is of course relevant to many of the fittings found on Zeds :)

Your Honda uses JIS
(Japanese Industry Standard)screws NOT Phillips screws, so use the correct Japanese manufactured tools to save damaging them.
Ever wondered why your Phillips screwdrivers keep rounding out on your Honda screws? Well basically Honda use JIS screws (Japanese Industry Standard) and not Phillips screws that we are used to.
These JIS screwdrivers will fit perfectly into the screwhead and not slip or round out as they usually do if using a Phillips screwdriver.
JIS looks much like a Phillips screw, but is designed not to cam out and will, therefore, be damaged by a Phillips screwdriver if it is too tight. The driver has a 57 degree point with a flat tip, parallel wings.
JIS_detail.JPG
JIS screwdrivers will work perfectly well with both JIS screws and Phillips screws, but a Philips screwdriver will only be of optimum use on a Phillips screw and will likely damage a JIS screw.

Commonly seen as this type of bolt

jis bolt.jpg

toopy

Club Member
Interesting! That bolt however, doesn't look like the JIS diagram at all though?

I think the diagram is supposed to represent the approx shape/profile of the tip of the screw driver, not the actual bolt/screw head, because the phillips doesn't look right either

Craig_260

Well-Known Forum User
I think I picked this up from one of James May's programs its always stuck though not a well known fact but always handy to know.