Japanese Auction Visit to USS Nagoya in 2023

Robbie J

Club Member
So we had a morning at the Auctions I wanted to see a DR30 and see how many interesting cars were there.

jarlath got us signed in

walking to the "interesting area" a non rusty integral, OK mirror and handles broke but looked very sound
1677349246608.png

Blue R34 GTR had had some paint
1677349488939.png

High reserve 2+2 with a g-nose that had been there months

1677349583855.png

somebody did this to a NSX
1677349809692.png
Not cheap but reversable I think

1677349913547.png

1677349959021.png
very valuable cars behind bars

DR30 3C
1677350039033.png
1677350081343.png

Rough engine, rusted through the sills... how can that be a 3?

Robbie J

Club Member
lots of nice cars around
1677350236836.png

R rated BNR32 but very stock and really clean, no rust
1677350335336.png
If it had been repaired it had been done really well

1677350403939.png
Quite clean RX7

1677350458061.png
BCNR33 this was a 3B but it very clean, yes a few mods but good ones, why only a 3?

We saw a 33 4 door 3B but the bottom of the c pillar had rusted through as if the guy looking at it hadn't gone round the back...

the rating system is very erratic atm

others with "interesting ratings"
1677350850275.png
1677350889631.png
1677350922512.png

260RS
1677350982479.png

1677351025321.png

Must have seen 20 Skylines there on one day so still stock despite what people think

richiep

Club Member
I’ve been watching some videos recently by a young Australian guy living in Japan who’s active in Formula Drift and always car hunting, spotting, and doing various builds. He has a number of videos of days spent at the auctions and the general picture is one of declining quality, high prices, and, relevant here to what you said Robbie, a broken grading system. He comments a lot on how the grading is now all over the shop, with cars incorrectly classified or featuring grades that have plainly been bought by the seller.

Clearly, buying without someone on the ground to go over cars in person is increasingly risky.

Robbie J

Club Member
I’ve been watching some videos recently by a young Australian guy living in Japan who’s active in Formula Drift and always car hunting, spotting, and doing various builds. He has a number of videos of days spent at the auctions and the general picture is one of declining quality, high prices, and, relevant here to what you said Robbie, a broken grading system. He comments a lot on how the grading is now all over the shop, with cars incorrectly classified or featuring grades that have plainly been bought by the seller.

Clearly, buying without someone on the ground to go over cars in person is increasingly risky.
yes totally I think you are referring to sammit we did say hello to him, the auction system is broken but there are good cars but you need to inspect them and not judge the ratings system or some of the resellers...

I will post a few more visits inc. Garage Defend which is interesting

Faster Behr

Club Member
This is really fascinating, thanks for sharing. Are you on an extended holiday there?

I really hadn't understood that there is a grading system for their auctions like this. As you say, from the results you have posted it does seem to be erratic. How do the prices seem in general? Is it still commercially viable for the usual UK importers to be bringing these cars in and to make a profit? I hope it does, so that we can continue to see a selection of interesting cars over here.

Robbie J

Club Member
This is really fascinating, thanks for sharing. Are you on an extended holiday there?

I really hadn't understood that there is a grading system for their auctions like this. As you say, from the results you have posted it does seem to be erratic. How do the prices seem in general? Is it still commercially viable for the usual UK importers to be bringing these cars in and to make a profit? I hope it does, so that we can continue to see a selection of interesting cars over here.

I was there for 2 weeks in Jan, just takes time to sort out posting stuff, I think the auction grading was better 5 years back but as the cars get older the grading gets weaker, Prices OK (exchange rate helps), yes Skylines and other classics are higher, even S30s are not cheap anymore