Janspeed turbo...crap or great?

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
....any thoughts on wot anyone would do with a 260 with a 2.8 and currently:
Dellortos without head work (my head needs work...)
Peformance exhaust
.....am thinking about a turbo experiment...so wot are the pros and cons of it and (AND) how easy are they to come by??....if easyish to get hold of I may sell the Dellortos and all that gubbings and try the Janspeed just fer a laff...

Ta me loverlies...Si

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Si....
Dont worry! Mike will be here in a bit.He's just nipped out to
have a sauna & massage & will be back re-juvenated & ready to assist you
in your quest for a turban.:D DJZ 60.:)

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
Hi guys,

.....dont you just LOVE computers crashing!!....and I'm no great typer either...anyways attempt number 2!

....yeah'aye'no ... me and cars eh...God (did I offend anyone there!?) I wish I lived next door to a z mechanic....right so here's my current state of thinking:

Car looks top ..everyone stares at it, Jee wizzz even more so than my e type kit!...love the way it looks....though would poss prefer a 2 seater, having said that the 2 + 2 is the rarest z in the UK so maybe its value has gone up!???

To make it 'right' I need head work done ( in more ways than one!) though it goes like flipps already but I cant afford it right now...SO..

I've a few options as I'm not the type to leave it in the garage until I can afford the work...I use my classic a LOT so I need to make a decision soon...

1. Sell it and go for a more simple affair ( another z! )
2. Keep it and buy some SU's (top stuff but I want MORE power) then sell the Dellortos
3. Blow it up
4. Source a Janspeed turbo and experiment with any of the above....(I like that one)
5. Buy a more modern car...(dont like that one..)

...Anyways I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place right now, and using it often and lots around town, its a bit frustratin at the mo cos I can only get it 'close'

So there ya go! ...ta fer listening (again..)

Si

Mr.G

Club Member
I am guessing that any Janspeed turbo you source will need the turbo reconditioning, which adds to the expense. Plus most Janspeed turbo systems produced were designed for use with the L28 EFI engine, the 280ZX, since you have carbs you wont be able to use it..The other option is to source a rarer Janspeed draw through carb turbo system (i think thats what there called) a fellow member from France, bpaccaudjanspeedZ, has this system. I think they are rarer then the Janspeed 280ZX turbo systems, so sourcing one may be a further problem.

zman240uk

Club Member
I ran the Janspeed Turbo with a 2" SU carb on the front for about 12 months. Performance was all or nothing. Loads of turbo lag, typically old school. Eventually blew the head gasket, so sold it on and swopped to Dellorto's.
Wouldn't recommend this set up as either reliable or that great a performance mod.

bpaccaudjanspeedZ

Well-Known Forum User
Janspeed turbo kit

Hello!

So for my little road experiency with this kit "only 250kms with it", because of engine problem, and more... body shell rust...not good for road

I find the engine torquey, and turbo boost from 2500tr to red ,but i find it underpower for 190BHP like i could read, probably because of 2 cylinder with 19% leak, turbo in bad condition, oil consuption and ignition problems on my engine

But i know also that you could find two differents carby Janspeed Kit

first generation suck true an SU HS7 2" and boost is controled with a bad calibrated wastgate so like you could read in some article turbo like autocar they notice a slight mid-range hesitation and a need in a more fine mixture tuning, also on full boost the engine surged as if intermittently held back (Janspeed say that this is due to a panting wastegate)

Second generation was modified particulary the wastegate, and ignition as an option to tune the advance / boost pressure (with the help of an microdynamics EMS3 ignition) and two boost switch
and the carby was an HIF44

But probably it's hard to have a reliable tuning with this kit, and engine need more modification (better cooling, and better oiling)
on my kit i notice that SU tuning was not constant...

But i could tell more as soon as my car could take the road, with engine modified

(i have the second generation)

Hope you could find what is the best for you

evtech

Well-Known Forum User
Minofish?

Hi Si

Minofish conversion, rarer than our 2+2's old lad :D :D

Minofish Carb is blow through but efficiency is somewhat lacking, I'm sticking with it till the end of this season and then it's skip the carb and get some injectors and a new air box and flow setup.

Also stole some tempting twin turb piccies from Hybrid Z site, posted in my shed as inspiration. Worth a look on the hybrid site, these boys like to play, and will share experiences.

By the way my turbo cost £500 to service last year so be warned.

You just missed a L seris turbo manifold on ebay.

BTY: See Wales grand slam hopes dased by the Irish, oops;)

All the best, just have some fun, see what takes your fancy.

Nigel (smiling England Ruby Fan)

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Si
I building a turbo motor for my car, pm if you want details on the parts needed and places to buy them from. Go and take a look on HybridZ you will find all the answers to your question on there.

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
Blinkin great stuff boys cheers!!....my mind is open on it and I'll take a better look when I aint drank that pesky JAck Daniels!!

Si

Fish1234

Active Forum User
Si
I building a turbo motor for my car, pm if you want details on the parts needed and places to buy them from. Go and take a look on HybridZ you will find all the answers to your question on there.
There's someone selling a 280z here £11.000 approx has a janspeed turbo should i stay away?