jacking points

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
where are the jacking points for a 260z 2+2?
i only ask because if i get a flat tyre and only have the scissor jack where am i supposed to put it thats safe?
normally when working under the car i jack it under the diff support or the engine cross member at the front.

james

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think there are little notches on the bottom of the sill seam to show where the scissor jack goes.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
If I only had a scissor jack I would jack under the suspension arms, hoping that they would be more or less horizontal when raised, to avoid slippage.

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
makes sense, im not sure i would trust the sills on any car because of the damage it causes to the paint and underseal let alone any rust lurking there.
i think i might keep a trolley jack handy and stick to the usual places.
just wondered out of curiosity if datsun saw fit to give you a scissor jack where they were thinking you could use it.

toopy

Club Member
You could use the scissor jack under the rear foot well area, maybe insulated with a piece of wood, that seems to be the favoured point used when cars are pictured on a garage post type lift :)

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
You could use the scissor jack under the rear foot well area, maybe insulated with a piece of wood, that seems to be the favoured point used when cars are pictured on a garage post type lift :)

I think that's usually the chassis where the compression rod mounts. Footwells are not strong on these cars.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I was going to suggest the bracing for the compression rod, but not sure about the scissor jack. Maybe get a nice little bottle jack and a block of wood.

toopy

Club Member
I think that's usually the chassis where the compression rod mounts. Foot wells are not strong on these cars.
I could of worded that better, what i meant was the area where the front of the rear inner wing meets the back of the rear floor pan/seat base, that corner area right next to the inner sill is where the arms of post lifts always seem to be positioned in photos, never on the actual sills, nor anywhere on the rear suspension or diff.
If just using a hand jack, the usual places apply, not always easy to access on these cars though especially when lowered!
I have to go in from the side with my trolley jack, rear access is non existent with the fuel tank stopping the arm from moving enough to pump sufficiently, i have to position the handle between the arch and wheel/tyre!
I've never actually used the rear floor area described above for jacking by hand, but its obviously up to the job, if say, you were just needing to change a wheel.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I made some shallow ramps out of a plank and they are very useful giving enough extra height to get a jack under the car.