Its all in the detail.

martinmac

Inactive
Finally got round to getting the car detailed yesterday. I was using someone local for the first time and was very pleased with the results.

I knew the Nissan paint was pretty poor but the results I got were shocking. Pretty much down to 60 to 70 all round. No paint correction done.
Here is the detailed stuff. :)
Brief description of process.

Cleaning:

Foamed with ValetPRO (VP) neutral snwowoam + VP pink shampoo mix and rinsed after 3 mins.

Foamed with VP neutral snowfoam + G101 all purpose cleaner – all detail areas etc agitated with Envy brush – rinsed.

Shuts/reveals cleaned with G101, agitated with Envy brush and lightly rinsed.

Washed 2BM + lambswool mitt with Swissvax Car Bath

Exhausts sprayed with VP Citrus tar remover, left to soak, then cleaned with ultrafine steel wool + Duragloss metal cleaner

Wheels cleaned with VP Bilberry

Lower flanks sprayed with VP tar remover and wiped with MF to remove heavy tar deposits

Body clayed with Sonus Ultrafine Green with Meg’s detailing spray (50:50) as lube

Rewashed with 2Bm Swissvax Car Bath

Dried with yellow Envy waffle towel

Polishing:

Readings with Positec 400 – wildly varying, many areas in the 70 microns range, few in the 60’s – lowest spot read 62 microns – possibly a world record low!

Decision made to gloss paintwork ie light cut, what comes out comes out.

Metal/carbon areas glossed with Flex and LC Kompressor white + mix of Menz IP + Menz FF (106) – 10 passes speed 5, 5 at 3 at 2 at 2

Plastic areas polished with PC and Menz FF (85) basically until the polish cleared

IPA wipedown

Wax:

Dodo Supernatural via Sonus green mf pad

Sundries:

Wheels waxed with Collinite Insulator Wax

Tyres dressed with Swissvax Pneu

Plastics treated with Swissvax Plastic Restorer

Swissvax Plastic Restorer to wheel arches.

Swissvax Crystal glass cleaner

Other:

Engine bay quick blitz with Karcher mini-steamer with AutoGlym Super Sheen to finish

Interior cleaned with Auto-Rae Quad & Go (cleaner/dressing in one)

Seats treated to Croftgate Leather Oil

Just over 10 hours the lot.

And some pics, it was very grubby. :blush:
clay.jpg

Swirls. :scare:

swirl2.jpg

swirl1.jpg

earlymorningsnow.jpg

moresnow.jpg

Picture1008-2.jpg

tar.jpg

Flex.jpg

pad.jpg

Picture1003-4.jpg

final.jpg

JakTheRuby

Club Member
That's a proper deep shine there mate. As usual the car looks great. Love those new wheels. Car looks so menacing now (like Darth Vader if he was a Japanese car...). So you'd recommend these guys to anyone local to you..?

martinmac

Inactive
Yes mate, I have had to use a guy in London until now which was a bit of a pain. Nick just turns up in the van and sorts it out on the drive so it makes it very easy.

Thanks for the comments on the new wheels, they werent planned but a large rock smashed two of my racing harts so it was a bit of a panic job to get these on in time for the Wales run.

It hurt too.
029.jpg

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Nice job!

My youngest (David) does all this detailing on his black 106 GTi. We have a shed full of stuff including a buffing machine. He spends a fortune on it all.

I thought it was all a waste of money but it really does work. You have to have a good car to start with though. His paintwork is amazing but the trouble is he works at Morrisons Supermarket and gets a new door dent every week - that really winds me up!

Black cars show detailing off well:thumbs:.

Attachments

• gti 003.jpg
    gti 003.jpg
    997.7 KB · Views: 21

JakTheRuby

Club Member
You can see why British Leyland made all of those shitty brown coloured cars now in the 70s and early 80s. It was actually functional to mask the fact that the cars were also a piece of cack.