Is this worth it? 1977 260z

Jakk24a

Forum User
Hi guys,

My first posting in a while, been busy for quite a few months since registering last year thanks to University work! I am here today to request some wisdom from those wiser than I!

Since first seeing the Z I was entranced (as I'm sure everyone could gather from my previous conversations) and ever since have been trawling classifieds and various classics and other sites looking for one cheap enough to snap up (being in Uni I can only afford like a grand to actually buy the base car with - especially if I want to have a little money left to at least begin work on it with).

Recently, I managed to find one and it's actually really close to me, to be more specific, it's even closer to where I attend Uni at! The listing claims it to be a 1977 260 but in the description goes on to mention it's a 2+2 so clearly they aren't too sure or knowledgeable about Z's. Also if I recall, I thought the 260 was only built in '74-'75?

They've listed it for £1,495 which is somewhat cheaper than the tiny handful other Z's I've found in the UK - probably because those are restored tbh. However, it does have some extensive rust. Supposedly it's been in storage for a long time but has started so that's good but if anyone could pass opinion on the bodywork state and base off that a roundabout guesstimate on maybe what kind of average welding costs I could be looking at I would be HUGELY thankful. I would dearly like to do a full 'frame-up' restoration to an original state rather than alternative engines etc. except a few mods (like LED lights maybe?) which would be cheaper than buying a different engine or block, you get the idea, but first really, I need to know rough prices for welding so I can convince my dear father who's a stickler for rust.

Here's the listing description and photos:

Datsun 260z 2+2

39,900 miles

Here we have a Datsun 260z that has been in storage for many years, We have had the engine running with a good battery and fuel supplied from a can, The straight 6 engine has not reached 40,000 miles and sounds lovely and is a manual, the clutch pedal is hard and we have not touched the brake pedal

Inside is very complete and original

Alloy wheels x5

As with all these 70`s Datsun`s it is the body work that requires attention, The bonnet is only placed on, the rear wings require work as do the doors, This car does require welding but when restored they are making strong money and this example benefits from being a low mileage example

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kcwnxyra4b5172o/eLczmcN_aA

I appreciate any help and advice given so thanks in advance! :3

P.S. If you can't access the Dropbox link for the photo folder please tell me and I will see what I can do to fix it.

Tim Jewitt

Well-Known Forum User
Can't get the dropbox link to work, but I recognise the description as I've seen the advert. To be brutally honest, it looks to be in a pretty wretched state and I would be very wary of what you could be getting yourself into. Even just what can be seen from zooming in on the pictures is extensive, so God knows what's lurking beneath / underneath. Offside rear quarter and rear valance are shot. Passenger door is caved in. Sort of looks like a massive hole in the front of the nearside rear quarter? Bonnet is nasty. Etc etc.

260 2+2 restoration projects do not have a huge amount of value and I think you could find a better candidate than that one. I would worry more about getting the best (least rusty) possible car you can than how cheap or close by you can find one, as the restoration cost will far exceed the purchase price regardless, and a better car to begin with will work out much cheaper in the long run.

My advice if it's nearby would be to go and see it, purely as an exercise in seeing what you would be getting yourself into in taking on such a project. You need to ask yourself how long you're prepared for it to take, how much you will be able to spend on it over that time period, how much of the work you'll be able to take on yourself, how much time you'll be able to commit to it etc, and see if your answers add to something realistic / feasible or not. Not trying to put you off or anything, just a lot of people buy these sort of cars brimming with enthusiasm and three months later they're back on eBay...

Last edited by a moderator:

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
To be brutally honest;

from the advert it sounds like both the clutch system and brakes are screwed so those will need a complete overhaul. Suspension bushings are pretty much guaranteed to be shot so that is another £250 for replacement bushings and a whole lot of work even if you do it all yourself. That's the cheap bit.

You have to ask yourself why the engine can only be run with petrol from a can? Best case scenario is the fuel pump is knackered, more likely is the fuel system (tank and hard lines) are rusted out and will need replacing.

How extensive is the rust? Keep in mind you should take what you see and multiply it by 10, no joke! If you aren't planning on learning to weld yourself then basically you won't be able to afford it even if you find someone that will do it for minimum wage because it is way more time intensive than you probably think. Not wanting to be harsh but just hoping know what you are letting yourself in for. If the floors/framerails need replacing then that's an easy 40 hours right there depending on what condition the bits the floors are welded to are in. That's if you can even get hold of 2+2 floors and framerails. If the outer sills need replacing then that's an even bigger job than the floors because the inner sills will need repairing too, and you can't buy those separately as they are a structural part of the main shell so they will have to be made.

It's all the little things that add up too; do all the lights function properly? Some of the switches will probably need reconditioning or replacing. The wiring might need sorting and that is a right pain in the ass if you do it yourself and added expense if you need to get someone else to figure it out. You'd be surprised at how much some of the little things cost, mainly because they are no longer available from Nissan and difficult to source.

The interior looks like it's in decent condition but if the whole car is being sold for £1500 then I would say that's a good indication of the amount of work and money it's going to take to finish. Better really to save a bit longer and buy something in better condition, it will likely be cheaper and be closer to completion than if you bought this one and worked your ass off every waking hour.

The only reason I would say buy this is if you want to learn to do everything yourself; welding, wiring, bodywork, paint, disassembly and reassembly.

Jakk24a

Forum User
Wow, thanks guys. Your responses and advice have been so helpful so thank you VERY much.

Yeah, I could only really look at this one because the next possible Z was one listed on classiccarsforsale at £6.5k if it's even still there and that'd take two years worth of Uni grants to pay for just the car!

I don't mind learning to do everything, it's a dream of mine to do just that. But the rust on this might be too much like you've said. I will however, like you advised, go and take a look at it to see what it's like in person and to see what I could potentially get myself into.

Writing this early morning so I apologize if there is any grammatical mistakes etc. Typing this on a tablet probably doesn't help since for some reason this page lags - no idea why. Also please excuse any american spellings... for some unexplained reason, even though the system language is set to English UK it sometimes likes to correct to US spellings...

I'll get back to you tomorrow or the next day when I've seen the Z and taken some more photos/checked it out with a fuller reply and some extra info. Who knows? I might even be able to convince them to give it to me for a cheap price to salvage the L26 and interior from. xD Joking of course but you never know...

Thanks so much guys!

P.S. Nearly forgot, tried tweaking and a different folder - it's now INA proper Drop box gallery so 'should' work - here's the Z photos from the listing for anyone who hasn't seen them - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/79etajgwczd82n5/H82nSJYNTe

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I think you would be better saving your money and getting a better car to restore

Mr.G

Club Member
Great to hear your enthusiastic about owning a Z.

IMHO I'd advise you to steer clear of a car that requires a lot of work and with the low budget at your disposal you would be looking at an endless money pit that you'll probably end up breaking for spares as yu throw good money after bad. It's happened to experienced car guys who've never bought S30s before, and we've seen it twice last year.

My advice would be to keep saving until you can buy a car that won't need a lot of work (take someone experienced with you and read the what to look for when buying a Z section on here).

Don't jump into it whatever you do, if its cheap it will be more expensive in the long run. Buy the best you can afford and save until you can buy the best.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble but give you a realistic view of the situation. :)

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi Jak
I am in the middle of restoring my 260z 2+2
One of the reasons for the cheap price is that the 2+2 is less desireable in the uk.
Not so in other countries though!
I don't think you will find a 2 seater at anywhere near that price that is going to be in better nick.
The issue with 2+2s is getting panels for them.
The rear quarters will probably need fabricating. I have some passanger doors spare and a few other bits availiable, but it is the rust which will cost as others have said there is going to be far more than you can see.
If you are going to buy a mig welder and do all the welding and fabrication yourself then this it is viable otherwise the cost of restoring this car will be huge.
Mine is going to cost £8000+ and mine was in far better nick.
The electrics will probably be ok though as the car is a bit newer.
Take a punt at £900 and even if you cant do the job you will probably get the money back if you break it for spares.
Or look at a 2+2 at £3000-£4000 and you might get away with light restoration.

Jakk24a

Forum User
Hi guys,

I'm emailing the garage today to get a look-in on Wednesday afternoon (since a friend is going to pick me up - we'll both be at a new Uni campus, him for work and me from being shown around with others the new area, so we'll go to the garage afterwards - just after midday) and I'll grab a couple of photos if I can with his phone.

Quick question: it did pass over my head that if they conceded it really does have far too much body rust to get the asking price would you say £500 would still be too much for the car as-is based on what can be seen from the photos?

It did cross my mind I mind get antsy if they decide to chop it and I can't say yes or no because I'm not entirely sure if £500 would still be too much - also because if I could get it cheap enough, like you mentioned breaking it for spares to sell *might* net me a little money I could save back. Though I might end up keeping the L26 in that case because I've been looking for a L to take apart, clean up and basically use to learn it better inside-out. Also, since finding out about the Z's (since in years past I hadn't gone back that far in Nissan's past) I've fallen as much in love with the sturdy, reliable engines as I have the car itself.

BTW, not having much of a social life isn't a worry for me. I don't really have one anyway since I don't tend to drink, go out drinking with friends or have a girlfriend (and I don't intend on getting one for a mighty long time). I just wanted an awesome project that I could learn a ton from doing and also have a car that I actually want to drive at the end.

Jakk24a

Forum User
EDIT: Forgot to mention, I only quoted £500 since I have no idea before seeing it how far the rust goes and wasn't really sure what to quote so just said that. Obviously it depends on the exact state and how far I can haggle him (if I weigh it up and figure I can part it for more cash than I buy it).

P.S. Is it just me or is there really no edit button? Tried looking just about everywhere but still didn't find it... >>;

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
260Zs in the UK were in production from 1974 to 1978, and were available as both a two-seater and a 2+2. In the States they were only around from 1974-75 before being replaced by the 280Z. That is where the confusion lies I think.

The car you are looking at looks like a money pit, as others have said. Looking at the engine it is hard to believe they have had it running. I would take the advice already given - save your money, be patient, and try and get a good one when you can afford it. I waited 35 years to get mine! Good luck.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
..... I don't tend ...to go out drinking with friends or have a girlfriend......

Advice from a wise old man - get that part of your life sorted before buying a project car.

A bit light-hearted I know but I mean it. Don't lock yourself away with a rusty old Datsun.

You have plenty of time for one of those.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Advice from a wise old man - get that part of your life sorted before buying a project car.

A bit light-hearted I know but I mean it. Don't lock yourself away with a rusty old Datsun.

You have plenty of time for one of those.

Good advice - better to s**g somebody else than let an old Datsun s**g you!

Tim Jewitt

Well-Known Forum User
I would have to say that on balance, my Z has been broadly comparable to a woman in terms of time, money and pain the backside. *** for tat. Perhaps quite literally.

Throttleton

Well-Known Forum User
Someone somewhere will give him 1500 quid for it so unlikely you're going to get it for 500 quid.
Take a club member with you to have a look if anyones near by. You may be extremely lucky and it's been kept out of the weather. Ask the bloke if he would mind you lifting the carpets or get it on a ramp somehow. There is no point 'wondering what it's worth till you have had a good look.
As everyone has mentioned it would be a minor miracle if it is in decent nick but go have a look and convince yourself one way or the other.
And get some beer down!

Jakk24a

Forum User
On account of everyone's advice and funds I decided to send the email like I mentioned and will see it hopefully on Wednesday afternoon to check it out. I won't be buying it, haven't yet solidified a reliable (or even semi-reliable) source of income quite yet and with getting a new phone yesterday (my first new phone, nearly new, in over 5 years!), a fancy dress costume for a friends party and some other items I don't quite feel like spending anymore for a while.

What I will do on Wed afternoon is take stock of the car and contribute to the forums with more details and hopefully photos of the car's condition so that someone who isn't just dedicated but who has money to be able to do it justice, can buy the car with the benefit of more information than the advert contains.

Still, thanks for the advice guys. It was extremely helpful in making me realise the willpower I used in the past on waiting for items I desperately wanted. Hopefully soon enough, I'll get the final driving test done, ****** car bought and amass a large fund with which to buy a better Z (but still one that needs working on - after all, what's the fun in a car that needs nothing doing?).

Thanks,
Chris

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I would have to say that on balance, my Z has been broadly comparable to a woman in terms of time, money and pain the backside. *** for tat. Perhaps quite literally.

I'm no expert, but if you've got a pain in the ****, it probably wasn't a woman ;-)