Intro and Info

Pondo

Club Member
Hi,

So it’s about time I suppose I introduce myself although I have been lurking for a while and did get the chance to meet one or two people at Donnington last year.

I’m based in Somerset near Bath so been enjoying seeing that we have a few S30 owners not so far away.

I have just purchased through Mike (SacCyclone) a 1972 240z, it is not stock in that it has an l28 with triple Weber’s, and fitted with a 5 speed trans and R200 390:1 diff. It does need some work but for my budget I was expecting that. Originally orange is now a lovely faded yellow!

Will try and get a picture up but now have to organise shipping. I’ve been reading that my options seem to be west coast/hill shipping or CFR Rinkens mainly (any other recommendations welcome) although am I right in thinking that they have not been so good of late?

Should I be looking at Roll on or container? Also if I could pick up from Southampton area that would be ideal. Any advice will be gratefully received. I will have to check back through other posts to see what you guys say I need to do on the paperwork.

Look forward to meeting more of you and seems like a special year buying a S30 with this year being the 50th anniversary year.

Attachments

• 793914FC-24BC-4C12-A9EF-6BCF9B8B8EDB.jpeg
    793914FC-24BC-4C12-A9EF-6BCF9B8B8EDB.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 112
  • B8B864B3-B164-4C32-9417-AA7F7F54399A.jpeg
    B8B864B3-B164-4C32-9417-AA7F7F54399A.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

Makesy

Club Member
Welcome to the club!

@johnymd and @chrisvega have a lot of experience of importing, so should be able to advise in this area. There are plenty of others on the forum who have have imported too.

My car was imported by the p/o, so I can't help much I'm afraid.

From my reading, ro-ro is less costly than containers, though if you plan on bringing any spare parts inside the vehicle, there's a greater chance of them disappearing.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
As Mike sold it - no doubt you'll know exactly what you're getting for your money - welcome and thanks for supporting this club and forum to further helps others in the future.

hallie

Club Member
Mine has just arrived from San Francisco. I shipped it with West Coast shipping and it was cleared by Hill Shipping when it arrived in Southampton both were really easy to deal with. I would use them again

Pondo

Club Member
Ok great, I’ll get a quote from both but It’s looking like WCS might be current favourites, Robbie and Hallie were yours RORO or containered?

johnymd

Club Member
I've always used CFR and generally been happy with the service. Kingston shipping are the UK agent and been very helpful.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Aidy, try to ship out of a port like Oakland / S.F. as the car is maybe 90 miles from there.
Southern California ports like Compton / Los Angeles are about 400 miles so almost double the transport costs.
Mike

Pondo

Club Member
Ok I’ve got a question if anyone can help. HMRC have been contacted by the shippers who have sent me forms to fill out to get an EORI number. The shippers say they need this to apply for the BTI. My question is on the form they’ve sent it looks like it’s from a commercial standpoint not a personal one. Such as it’s asking for my business name.

Has anyone else had experience with this, I’m not Vat registered so just clicked on what they have sent me through. Do I just fill it out with my personal details or does it sound like I’ve been sent the wrong form?

Any help much appreciated.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
An EIRI number is only given out to pros - tell them your just an ordinary bloke although your customs agent (who deals with HMCustoms should be able to sort it).

Pondo

Club Member
Hi Mike, thanks for the welcome. Shipper said I only have container as an option from this port.

Sean, called them today and they thought maybe they had made a clerical error so hopefully that’s sorted!

Pondo

Club Member
Ok so looking like I might be receiving a car with luck the end of next week. I’ve read through some of Makesys post put just wanted to check a few things are still the case.

So am I right in thinking I don’t need mot or insurance to be able to register the car. The car is mostly complete and I probably will get it mot’d but would like to get the paperwork in ASAP and see if I can get it sorted for Donnington if possible.

Also what do I need to change on the car to make it uk compliant, I’ve got new rear indicators but unsure what else might need changing.

........enjoyed meeting a few of you guys at Castle Combe the other weekend, hopefully might make the odd Queens square meet too.

uk66fastback

Club Member
You don't need tax or MoT to get it registered with DVLA. As far as changing the car to drive in the UK, you need the brake lights to be separate from the rear lights. Indicators should be amber and not red. The 7" headlights need to be changed to ones with the internal sidelight and the wiring changed accordingly. The side markers can be changed to come on with the indicators (as opposed to being part of the front lamps - and illuminated all the time - as in the US)

I say all this, but when I did mine, it was to get an MoT. If you don't need an moT I wonder just how much you need to do - but the brake light thing is worth doing anyway fo safety reasons.

Every US carI've ever seen of this vintage (not just Datsuns) has knackered track rod ends btw! They don't seem to check them over there AT ALL!