Interesting Z Rebuild - Former owner car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
We know there's cars that have come back from worse, I'm sure someone with patience could sort it out.

AD240Z

Club Member
“Be careful when you buy a car - we got this for a good price “

Is it just me or is most of what he is whining about was evident before it was blasted?

There’s pictures on here showing the work done - and it didn’t look hidden .

He should have walked away if it didn’t meet his criteria for work/ timescales / budget and bought something better ( rather than good price ) .

I don’t know about the sale - but if I knowingly bought an incontinent dog - I wouldn’t complain if it shat on my carpet .

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User

Is it just me or is most of what he is whining about was evident before it was blasted?

He should have walked away if it didn’t meet his criteria for work/ timescales / budget and bought something better ( rather than good price ) .

I don’t know about the sale - but if I knowingly bought an incontinent dog - I wouldn’t complain if it shat on my carpet .
I somewhat agree, though I believe I saw the advert for this and it was mentioned that most of the welding had been done. An unsuspecting buyer might trust a well known Z enthusiast/bodyshop.
Maybe the previous owner knew it was too much work and picked a better shell to start with?

Last edited:

arcdef

Club Member
I saw the ad and it looks very ropy from the poor pictures shared, glad I steered clear of buying an engine now though!

AD240Z

Club Member

Personally - I’d look at a car before buying it. I drove to Birmingham to see both of mine .

Technologies out there to have a look and it’s on here - warts n all …. (?) looks pretty similar to when he got it - it wasn’t like it was hidden under a load of filler and paint .

@Alphabettispaghetti - I’d say not …

atomman

Club Member
Why didn't he just buy a better car to start ? A RHD UK car would of 'probably' of been less rusty to start and worth more when done ?

or just maybe he's doing it all on purpose for 'likes' and 'content' on his YouTube channel.

If he brought a decent car it would only be a couple of episodes............................

Last edited:

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Why didn't he just buy a better car to start ? A RHD UK car would of 'probably' of been less rusty to start and worth more when done ?

or just maybe he's doing it all on purpose for 'likes' and 'content' on his YouTube channel.

If he brought a decent car it would only be a couple of episodes............................

As for the comment about a RHD car being less rusty I doubt it. BUT it would have been worth the level of investment more so than this one.

He seems disgruntled, perhaps the vehicle was mis-sold. Did he even view it before buying? It looks like he was loading it up himself in the videos so who knows? These cars can hide a lot (any classic car can) particularly one that's already been restored.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
We know what these cars hide but others get carried away by the thought of profit. Homework needs to be done to establish panel availability etc before jumping in and buying.

I'm afraid "rose tinted specs' are often worn by classic car enthusiasts. I wore some when I bought my first 240. I suspect Candy Red has a pair too. At least we were able to do the work ourselves, however I sold mine honestly and cheaply so I didn't make any money but boy I enjoyed it for 18 years. The worst thing I could have done was get it sand-blasted soon after I bought it - thankfully I didn't - ever.

Last edited:

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Yes and I believe its the old project Daisy from here: https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/73-240z-daisyz.27478/page-3

The issue here lies with the blasting I think, we all know once you blast a Z thats had repairs, or showing even slight signs of rust...its going to show up how severe the shell really is. A risk we all take... I blasted mine, fortunately it was as good and solid as I was told it was by the well known and respected forum member on here I purchased it from. However, that was confirmed when I viewed it too! But I bet I paid a lot more for it that this one. Although you never know....

Last edited:

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
He did mention doing it for SEMA so maybe he was intending on keeping it LHD and flipping it in the states.

He clearly bought it blind and / or without doing his research on how rusty these cars can be (on average) and paid the price.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
When I sold my first 240Z I valued it by how much I could sell each part for. I valued the shell at £1500 (in 2012). I had phone calls and tended to put people off by my honesty around the shell. Sometimes I regret that I undersold a quick, highly modified and usable 240 for £6500. What do you do?

Geoff-R

Club Member
That car looked ropey before he started. Blasting it would have only confirmed what we all knew but with that said the repairs do look pretty bad and in all honesty when a car hits the bottom of it's depreciation curve repairs tend to be shoddy. I'm not afraid to admit when I started my journey with Datsun's I was a little green to it and purchased a much better looking shell than that, when blasted it removed all the hidden sins and I took the option to scrap the shell as it just wasn't safe. So I've been bitten in the past, it made me a little wiser.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
That car looked ropey before he started. Blasting it would have only confirmed what we all knew but with that said the repairs do look pretty bad and in all honesty when a car hits the bottom of it's depreciation curve repairs tend to be shoddy. I'm not afraid to admit when I started my journey with Datsun's I was a little green to it and purchased a much better looking shell than that, when blasted it removed all the hidden sins and I took the option to scrap the shell as it just wasn't safe. So I've been bitten in the past, it made me a little wiser.
The repairs aren't old... in fact they were done within the last 24 months with a well known bodyshop? business that frequents this forum.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
Sorry we absolutely wouldn’t. Was always under the impression that he was from a professional outfit. I’m a hobbyist, and what I do to my cars is clear cut. However, I make it clear if I sell anything that it is a hobbyist that has undertaken the work.

And so you all know, I fully appreciate him having a go at this shell, clearly it doesn’t fit the bill for the person who bought the car and they seem pretty disgruntled but end of the day it’s clearly their own fault for not doing the checks prior to purchasing.

Healey 12

Club Member

wow she looked rough as anything before the sand blasting . Think he bought the price not the car !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.