Interesting 1972 Z… | The Z Club of Great Britain
  1. The Z Club relies on the support of it's paid members - join the club or renew your membership here.

Interesting 1972 Z…

Discussion in 'Classifieds discussion' started by IbanezDan51, Aug 24, 2021.

1. IbanezDan51

IbanezDan51
    Z Club Member

2. jonbills

jonbills
    ZClub Administrator

It looks quite nice, apart from the steering wheel.

Robbie J likes this.
  3. IbanezDan51

IbanezDan51
    Z Club Member

just questionable why it has no rear quarter vents and storage bins.

it does look quite straight for a RHD car….

4. Albrecht

Albrecht Well-Known Forum User

The rear quarter emblems? I think it is just a matter of the original (vented) quarter emblems being switched to the earlier Export type '240Z' emblems after the original holes were filled in. Builder decision, I think. I don't think it's a symptom of shell-swapping (with the caveat that I haven't seen it in person, so I'm only guessing...).

I sold the (Japanese aftermarket replica) 5-piece Grande nose kit and (original Nissan) headlamp covers to the builder/owner Alan Edney back in the late 1990s. Pretty sure I sold him the MK63 four-pot front calipers too. He found the basket wire wheels at one of the Billing Aquadrome meets I seem to remember...

Not everyone's cup of tea (and certainly not mine) but I believe there's a good, straight and solid car underneath all the add-ons. Could easily be made into something a lot more appealing.

5. IbanezDan51

IbanezDan51
    Z Club Member

good to know, think the storage bins are hiding under the carpet which is what threw me for a minute.

looks very tidy for 25k

6. Albrecht

Are there photos that show the lack of storage bins? I can't see anything that shows an early 'cheesegrater' rear deck. Interior looks very 1972 RHD to me.

IbanezDan51 likes this.
  7. Albrecht

Yes, I think that's what the limited interior photos show. Correct for the year.

The early rear quarter emblem swap will make people suspicious, but I think it was just a custom touch added by the builder. Current vendor is possibly not aware.

8. IbanezDan51

IbanezDan51
    Z Club Member

There isn’t, I was just looking at the photo behind the seats but I forgot that the bins aren’t actually on show and the split carpet lifts for them.

Remove the g nose kit, steer wheel and gear knob and it would be a good car although finding a good bonnet these days is easier said than done.

9. Albrecht

Why would it be necessary to find another bonnet? Grande nose only required different bonnet hinges. Bonnet itself is the same.

IbanezDan51 likes this.
  10. IbanezDan51

IbanezDan51
    Z Club Member

Something else I had no idea about. headlight cones/valance/bumper were the only differences then?

11. Albrecht

To convert back to short/normal front end you'd need headlamp cones/'sugar scoops', front valance, left and right valance corners, grille and bonnet hinges. Everything else is the same.

You could get away with using the ZG/Grande nose-specific hinges at a pinch. The difference is the angle & amount that they allow the bonnet to rise. They are designed to allow the bonnet to hinge behind the bonnet extension piece of the Grande nose. Normal/short nose hinges would allow the bonnet to hit it.

12. franky

franky Well-Known Forum User

I quite like it, also, I like the G-Nose. Its the wheels that ruin it(for me).

A set of Watanabe wheels along with stainless/chrome bumpers, job done.

13. datsfun

datsfun
    Z Club Member

14's ? :D

I would go with the Kobe Seiko replicas in 14x7 instead

Lovely car and I hope the new owner keeps the G nose.

14. Albrecht

Grande Nose without overfenders is like pasta with no sauce.

Put a set of Marugen Shōkai overfenders and a suitable set of wheels and tyres on it, paint the lower half of the Grande Nose in factory colour and a certain sub-set of people would be all over it.

As it is now, its neither fish nor fowl. But easily cured.

atomman, datsfun and richiep like this.
  15. Rob Gaskin

Rob Gaskin Treasurer Staff Member Moderator

Yep a G nose car is too long and narrow without 'over fenders' .

Robbie J likes this.
  16. uk66fastback

uk66fastback
    Z Club Member

Change of wheels needed. Apart from that and the steering wheel, good to go for me.

17. Bazzateer

Bazzateer
    Z Club Member

I could live with the nose but the wheels, gear knob and steering wheel would have to go.

18. franky

franky Well-Known Forum User

I hate to say it, they're too common now and not really the right thing for this. there's some replica's I would fit though. Needs 8j and overfenders.

19. datsfun

datsfun
    Z Club Member

Too common when compared to watanabes ? :rolleyes::conf2::leaving:

20. richiep

richiep
    Z Club Member

As others have said, G nose simply looks wrong without the overfenders. A set of those and a set of Watanabes in 8.5j -6 front and 9.5 -19 rear (or Hayashi Streets in the same sizes), G nose lower resprayed grey and all is good.

The Mr.K car and replicas are just plain fuggly.

AliK likes this.