Inertia switch wiring

toopy

Club Member
Ive been re-doing the wiring for my facet fuel pump
When it was installed by the garage they wired it in when the ignition was on ACC,
i found a lone blue wire with a bullet connector going spare by the washer bottle
that is only live when the ignition is on, ON, so ideal ;)
Ive also added a relay and a dedicated fuse as the pump was wired direct.

I bought a 2 wire inertia switch off ebay, which came from a Rover 25, to make the install safer.
I presumed you would wire it in series with the pump feed, but i remember reading on an
earlier thread from years back, that they had wired into the negative side of the pump :confused:

Also where have other people sited it in the engine bay? ideally if it is to go into the negative side
i would put it close to the pump which is on the inner wing adjacent to the alternator.
However i have also read the switch should be on the bulk head, to help avoid false triggering
from pot holes etc!

Any of you electrical wizards happen to know which way round i should wire my
particular switch or does it not matter?

:thumbs:

Attachments

• inertia switch.jpg
    inertia switch.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 18

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Mine is wired on the positive side on the inner wing in the engine bay.
If I give it a thump, it cuts out, but it's never cut out on a pot hole.

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
I put mine on the switching side of the relay so it wouldn't have the full current of the fuel pump running through it. I have the switch itself mounted in the cabin on rubber blocks to help prevent unwanted activation. That way it's easy to reset if it does happen!

(Edit)
Fuelpumpwiring4_zps7719a1b4.jpg

Kill switch in the diagram is basically used as an immobiliser and is hidden out of view.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
i would put it close to the pump which is on the inner wing adjacent to the alternator.

FYI. most facet pumps are pushers not suckers and so should be mounted at the rear beside the tank. The same place Nissan used on markets that had electric pumps.

toopy

Club Member
I put mine on the switching side of the relay so it wouldn't have the full current of the fuel pump running through it. I have the switch itself mounted in the cabin on rubber blocks to help prevent unwanted activation. That way it's easy to reset if it does happen!

Kill switch in the diagram is basically used as an immobiliser and is hidden out of view.

:thumbs: Thanks for that

toopy

Club Member
FYI. most facet pumps are pushers not suckers and so should be mounted at the rear beside the tank. The same place Nissan used on markets that had electric pumps.

Pete

I have one of the cylindrical types, silver top i think, which i understand can be fitted any where
in the fuel line. Seen plenty mounted in engine bays at shows, as suckers :p
The smaller, square type solid state pumps are more suited to under body fitment as they
are designed to be a pusher.

Paul_S

Club Member
Thanks for the info on this (old) thread :thumbs:

I haven't found an inertia switch (yet...??) on my car yet so it looks like I might be installing one soon.

Out of interest, does anyone know if it's an MOT requirement?