Indicators or blinkers if you are american

JW240

Active Forum User
Yet more electrical trouble, the car really hasn't taken kindly to having its loom removed and reinstalled.
Finally got everything back together last night, checking lights etc, noticed the front left indicator bulb was out, changed it, tried the indicators and nothing. Dead as a door mouse, swapped the old bulb back in and still dead. No blown fuses, headlight dimmer still works so not sure what's happened. Dead flasher relay perhaps? the hazards work perfectly still.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Do the other left indicators work? The hazard and indicator relays are linked ie they rely on each other. I'll post my diagram in a while. Have a look at some of my Threads in the S30 Electrical Section.

JW240

Active Forum User
Do the other left indicators work? The hazard and indicator relays are linked ie they rely on each other. I'll post my diagram in a while. Have a look at some of my Threads in the S30 Electrical Section.
Nope, nothing works at all now. Neither side or the arrows on the dash.
The indicators always felt abit delicate and the left hand arrow on the dash never worked but then when using hazards it did.
Not sure if its just taken this opportunity to die, maybe the indicator switch or hazard switch is on its way out.

Geoff-R

Club Member
Sounds like there could be a bad earth somewhere or a slightly corroded contact. I would agree with Rob, I would look at a wiring diagram and identify all the relevant wiring. Might be worth taking the hazard and indicator relays off the car and testing them on the bench to remove any doubt that it is them causing the issue.

JW240

Active Forum User
Sounds like there could be a bad earth somewhere or a slightly corroded contact. I would agree with Rob, I would look at a wiring diagram and identify all the relevant wiring. Might be worth taking the hazard and indicator relays off the car and testing them on the bench to remove any doubt that it is them causing the issue.
Are the hazard and indicator relays those two pin, silver cylinder style ones in either footwell?

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I know this may seem strange but the Hazard unit gets it's power from the 'STOP' fuse!

The Indicator unit from the 'FLASHER' fuse - logical

Check both.