Indicator Wiring Confusion?

ZedsDead

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all,

I’m hoping someone on here may be able to assist me with a wiring problem I’ve currently got.

Long story short, I have set of indicator & light/washer switchgear which is not from the original car (year/model unknown), as well as a set which is from the original car (1971 US import). They both have different style connectors on.

The light/washer switchgear was damaged but I managed to swap out the broken bits with the good bits from the spare set which means they now work and can plug back in to the loom using the correct connectors. I also rebuilt this and know all the connection work properly.

The indicator switchgear that came in the car seems to have some parts missing and was damaged, however the spare one that I have looks almost exactly the same (with the addition of a little push button on the end of the stalk).

From trawling wiring diagrams online, I think I have found the connector block in the loom which the indicators need to be wired into and it has 5 wires coloured, GB, GB, GR, GR and GY. I’ve shown this on my diagram (attached).

My question is, assuming that this is correct, which wires from the indicator stalk need to be connected to each of the GB, GB, GR, GR, GY wires in this connector?

In my diagram, the wires have the following colours:

A – Green
B – White, Black
C – White, Red
D – Black (looks to be connected to the push button on the end of the stalk which is not present on the other indicator)
E – Red, Black
F – Red, Yellow
G – Red White
H – White

E, F and G all fit into a connector in the loom.

B,C and D all terminate at a connector which doesn’t fit my loom (or at least is missing, some of the wires on the original indicator stalk had been cut).

Basically I don’t know what to connect A, B, C, D, or H up to and I can’t figure it out from any wiring diagrams.

At present, the head and tail lights work (mostly, one headlight seems to be dim) and the wipers/washers work.

If I click the hazard lights on then the indicators do flash I know that the wiring/bulbs are OK.

Any guidance on where I’m going wrong, how to get these indicators working, or even where I could find a diagram which might help me out, would be much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this!

Attachments

• Wiring1.png
    Wiring1.png
    972.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Wiring2.png
    Wiring2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

ZedsDead

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks MaximG!

That actually does help a yes. From looking at that, it appears that the wire I labelled as "A" (Green) should be connected to the label I marked as "H" (white).

Although oddly it does seem to present another question.

From looking at your picture you have WR, WB, and B wires on one side of a connector (which I also have), joining GR, GB and RW wires on the other.

The connector with the GR, GB and RW wires doesn't seem to be present in my loom, nor can I see that it's been cut off.

I'll have to have another look when I get home and see what I can find.

Thanks again!

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I suppose in hindsight I should have asked what car you have. The picture is from a 72 uk car. I am little surprised your original indicator stalk doesn't have a button on the end. It's used for flashing the head lights I kind of just assumed it was standard.

ZedsDead

Well-Known Forum User
I wondered what it was for!

The car I have is a '71 US import. I believe the spare set of switchgear I have is from a UK car but I don't know what year. Apart from a little surface rust on the indicator stalk they're in good condition though. Apart from the little button for flashing the lights, the two different indicators seem to be exactly the same whereas the original headlight switchgear is quite different to that of the spare.

When I get home I'm going to unwrap a bit more of the loom tape and see if I can find any trace of this seemingly missing connector.

ZedsDead

Well-Known Forum User
That was my suspiscion.

However, I'm not actually concerned about the ability to flash the lights. At the moment, I'm just trying to figure out how to get the indicators to work.

ZedsDead

Well-Known Forum User
OK, I think I've figured out the problem.

As I mentioned, on the indicator switch that came with the car, there appeared to be parts missing but I'd never had them so couldn't say what they looked like.

On the new indicator, I couldn't figure out why the connector wouldn't fit the one on my loom or why there was a different number of wires on each connector.

After spending some time trawling the internet for pictures of indicator stalks, it appears there are two different styles of indicator switch, one with 5 wires and one with 3 wires.

My guess is that the part which is missing from my indicator stalk is of the 5-wire variety (and would therefore fit my loom connector). Unfortunately the replacement is of the 3-wire variety.

I guess then my question now is, does anyone have one a switch of the 5-wire variety which they might like to sell?

Or can anyone advise what each of the five wires are actually supposed to do so that I can make some temporary switches until I do the RHD conversion?

I've attached two pictures illustrating the differences.

Thanks!

Attachments

• mY cONNECTOR.JPG
    mY cONNECTOR.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 10
  • SingleSwitch.JPG
    SingleSwitch.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 11

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
Well the Green wire comes from the indicator can. The other two are left and right.

ZedsDead

Well-Known Forum User
Yes I can see that that's the case on the 3-wire version. Unfortunately my loom is for the 5-wire version.

After quite a bit of looking I think I've figured it out and it appears that I am not actually going to be able to make this work with the 3-wire switch I have as the wiring is completely different, as is the way in which it works..

I think that for now I'm either going to have to find a replacement for the missing 5 wire switch, or just make some temporary switches and wiring until I do the RHD conversion. Then the 3-wire version I have will connect to the loom that I have for he RHD dashboard.

Thanks for your input MaximG