Indicator (turn signal) switch and headlight switch & relay replacement / refurbishment (UK)

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hello,

I’ve got an intermittent fault with my indicators which I’ve been able to trace to the switch unit on the steering column. I’ve also got a similar fault with my headlights, so may need to replace that switch plus the headlight relay.

From looking online, it’s looking like i may need to purchase a whole refurbished unit - left and right stalks, sending my own in exchange.

Has anyone had similar issue and resulting fix / parts? Shown below as the blinker switch - the offending faulty part for the indicator. Similar on other side for the headlights.

Thanks, Graeme

704ff341165dace48cec9b4f1e0bf298.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've had issues and taken them apart with success but be careful to open them over something like kitchen paper. You don't want bits to fall off a bench.

They don't have headlight relays as standard just headlight flasher relay/s.

Pondo

Club Member
I just know when my lights cut out if I wiggle the red in your bottom picture they click back on :unsure::EXTRAlol:

Disclaimer - I know nothing about electrics!

MCBladeRun

Club Member
cf43adec2b3daa7c63b4a55a5c5834b4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Graeme, what year is your datsun? I can see that's the 9pin connector, which I think is the 1973 onwards 240z model?

The lights are part of the 9pin connector IIRC. Think that's the washer wires combined with the lights is why so much. On mine I think there's 4 for the screen washer, and speed selector, then there's 2 for the lights (making 6) but on the 9 I think you've got an additional speed on the wipers.

Sorry I can't offer more info. A good look at the wiring diagram for your year of S30 and you'll want to match the wires of the loom and not the wires of your control switches (the parts you've shown us)

The headlight cables are also, usually thicker than the others.

Martin

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Thanks Martin. I have a 73 240z US import.

I’ve also spotted some burning on the connection box. Not sure of the cause.

I’m currently trouble shooting why I have intermittent fault with headlights.

G
591bbe19bbf8382f386bb931f3750b30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCBladeRun

Club Member
Might be worth checking which wire that is, cross referencing with the wiring diagram. I would suspect that is the headlight main beam (as opposed to dipped beam). Can't be 100% sure.

Melting could make the connection not perfect, but the spade/blade terminations are a solid system. You might need to source replacement 9pin male / female plug / socket.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi Graeme, the two connectors that have melted the plastic are for the tail light wiring. Are the wires green/white and green/blue? One to the fuse, one to the lights.

The lighting switch is the squarer on the two i.e. the third picture of yours.

Last edited:

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hi Graeme, the two connectors that have melted the plastic are for the tail light wiring. Are the wires green/white and green/blue? One to the fuse, one to the lights.

The lighting switch is the squarer on the two i.e. the third picture of yours.

Thanks Rob - much appreciated. G

skinjim

Club Member
Hello,

I’ve got an intermittent fault with my indicators which I’ve been able to trace to the switch unit on the steering column. I’ve also got a similar fault with my headlights, so may need to replace that switch plus the headlight relay.

From looking online, it’s looking like i may need to purchase a whole refurbished unit - left and right stalks, sending my own in exchange.

Has anyone had similar issue and resulting fix / parts? Shown below as the blinker switch - the offending faulty part for the indicator. Similar on other side for the headlights.

Thanks, Graeme

704ff341165dace48cec9b4f1e0bf298.jpg

Hi Graeme, I'm having the same issue with an intermittent left turn signal, I'm about to pull the switch unit apart and give it a clean. If that doesn't work do you mind if I ask where you were going to source a refurbished unit? And my car is right hand drive, which I'm assuming makes a difference.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk