Indicator problem

adrianl

Forum User
Hi, I am a recent new 1972 240Z owner and new member of the Z CLUB.
Have an indicator problem, which I isolated to be the flasher unit, replacement purchased and indicators worked fine for a few minutes then stop one side and then other until nothing works again.

Hazards work fine.

Thought it was the replacement flasher unit I bought locally, so tried again with a unit from MJP,( which matched the one originally on the car) but the same happened. Had a look at the indicator stalk and it appears fine, but I note from the US Zclub Website that they can cause problems.

Any ideas on how to track this down would be appreciated.

Thanks
Adrian

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
The contacts in the indicator stalk can give trouble after 30yrs. They can be filed /emeried which is what I did with mine & whilst youv'e got it to bits have a look at the light switch, chances are this will be the same.

adrianfr

Well-Known Forum User
a couple of things to check here, as the flashers are routed through the hazzard switch it can cause problems, give the hazzard switch a few on and offs to clean the contacts. The two wires that go to the flasher unit, connect them together, use a blade fuse to do this so it gives you a bit of protection too. Operate the indicator switch, if the circuit is ok the lamps will light and stay on, if not then it may be a switch fault. You can test supply at each lamp with a circuit tester. Try that and see what happens.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've had this very problem and it was the the contacts of the switch like Nigel said. I had to open the switch by bending back the tabs and then I increased the angle of the brass wing shaped rocking contact. It's a bit of a fiddle to get it right. I've since replaced the complete lights/indicator assembly with a secondhand unit, but there were a few minor differences if I remember ( wire colours etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:

adrianl

Forum User
Just to wrap this one up, turned out to be the switch contacts after all, as a couple of people suggested.

Be careful of the small parts inside the switch which have a small spring behind them, if anyone else reads this and is going to take the switch apart.

Thanks for the advice, saved me alot of time.