in car entertainment

chris frizzell

Club Member
hi all can anyone recommend a good after market stereo and is it easy to convert the electrics .also it would be great to fit a tomtom as well . sorry for the lack of knowledge not that good with electric any help would be fratastic chris

Paul_S

Club Member
I started looking into options but have decided to make a discrete & removable phone holder where the radio should go so I can use my phone for Nav and music (either MP3 or radio streaming). I plan to use either a Bluetooth speaker mounted somewhere or a Bluetooth receiver and amp wired into some proper speakers. The idea is to have no visible wires and to keep the interior looking period when I take my phone out.

It's a project I've been thinking about for a while but won't be able to get round to it until later in the year. I'll definitely post up about it when I get started.

uk66fastback

Club Member
I have one of the original radios and have thought about sending it off to a place to get the gubbins removed and have some modern stuff inserted, so it'll look the same but it'll be far nice to use and I'll get some decent stations. I have no music on my phone and I know where I'm going so I don't need satellite navigation in it :D

Farmer42

Club Member
The downside of using your phone for music & satnav is that it is illegal to do so whilst you are driving even to change music or directions. If you want to keep the retro feel, there are plenty of retro style car header units available nowdays with all the modern stuff like USB, Bluetooth etc and as far as i am aware, they are still ok to use whilst driving although not recommended. I have a proper 80s stereo in mine but connected to an amp with USB & jack plug mounted in the glove box. Not ideal as I need to keep the glovebox door open & will probably change but I wanted to keep the proper retro stereo.

Paul_S

Club Member
The downside of using your phone for music & satnav is that it is illegal to do so whilst you are driving even to change music or directions. If you want to keep the retro feel, there are plenty of retro style car header units available nowdays with all the modern stuff like USB, Bluetooth etc and as far as i am aware, they are still ok to use whilst driving although not recommended. I have a proper 80s stereo in mine but connected to an amp with USB & jack plug mounted in the glove box. Not ideal as I need to keep the glovebox door open & will probably change but I wanted to keep the proper retro stereo.
That's a very good point. I use Waze and that has voice commands so I can use it hands free, but I've never looked into that option for my music player (it works with the steering wheel controls in my 370Z so I've never checked into it).

chris frizzell

Club Member
at the moment i have a 80s sharpe cassette player witch was my late dads it would be great if a could fit that but its the wrong polarity . can i make it so it would work in my 280z ,its also has hints of the came colour of the car 110 red hope someone can advise me thanks chris

toopy

Club Member
I started looking into options but have decided to make a discrete & removable phone holder where the radio should go so I can use my phone for Nav and music (either MP3 or radio streaming). I plan to use either a Bluetooth speaker mounted somewhere or a Bluetooth receiver and amp wired into some proper speakers. The idea is to have no visible wires and to keep the interior looking period when I take my phone out.

It's a project I've been thinking about for a while but won't be able to get round to it until later in the year. I'll definitely post up about it when I get started.

That's pretty much what i intend to do, i don't want to cut the door cards for speakers and only having them behind you somewhere sounds a bit naff acoustically.

A blue tooth speaker and my phone is fine for occasional use, and most of the time anyway i'm happy just listening to 6 cylinders humming away!

I bought a plastic tray/insert ages ago that slots into the radio aperture so i can slip my wallet, phone etc somewhere convenient. The bluetooth speaker then sits across the centre console where the switches are.

Farmer42

Club Member
Phone mounted in holder is OK though.

It is if you just want it to hold the phone but it is illegal to use it even if it is in a holder. You can use a hands free kit for telephone calls but it isn't any good if you want to change the music coming out of your phone. You are not supposed to touch it whilst you are driving although many people still do. Having known someone who had a family member mown down by someone using a mobile phone whilst driving, it is one of my pet hates:EXTRAmad:.

That's pretty much what i intend to do, i don't want to cut the door cards for speakers and only having them behind you somewhere sounds a bit naff acoustically.

A blue tooth speaker and my phone is fine for occasional use, and most of the time anyway i'm happy just listening to 6 cylinders humming away!

I bought a plastic tray/insert ages ago that slots into the radio aperture so i can slip my wallet, phone etc somewhere convenient. The bluetooth speaker then sits across the centre console where the switches are.

I'm with you on the sound of an L-series. Nothing better when it is running smoothly. I tried a bluetooth sound bar in the same place but it kept getting in the way or kept falling off so I ditched it.

Mr.G

Club Member
I bought a retrosound headunit...looks old school but is a digital radio, plays mp3 etc...I may go back to a decent 70s or 80s stereo as the sound quality is not great but is convenient if you want to plug your ipod in it...