Importing Rally Car from Europe

Nmd14

Club Member
Hi All,

I'm looking at buying an E30 325i rally car from Europe (needs to be LHD), to import into the UK.

My understanding is being over 30 years old, it would attract a 5% VAT rate rather than 20%. Then it needs to be registered here to the UK.

Has anyone here been through this process since Brexit, or used a company they would recommend to help?

Many thanks, Nick D

datsfun

Club Member
Hi All,

I'm looking at buying an E30 325i rally car from Europe (needs to be LHD), to import into the UK.

My understanding is being over 30 years old, it would attract a 5% VAT rate rather than 20%. Then it needs to be registered here to the UK.

Has anyone here been through this process since Brexit, or used a company they would recommend to help?

Many thanks, Nick D

Reduced 5% VAT rate applies where the car is
A) over 30 years old AND
B) not sustainably modified - read that to be no engine swaps, suspension swaps etc

Otherwise it will be 20% VAT and 10% import duties. :cuss:

Being a " rally car , I very much doubt it would qualify for the reduced 5% rate. All IMHO

Depending on your appetite for risk you may want to chance it and hope the declaration made to HMRC fir reduced VAT is not challenged.

Could be expensive if they opine Otherwise.

Healey 12

Club Member
Yes I bought a rally car in two weeks ago , 5% duty on the car make sure you have an original registration document , as without it whole world of pain . I have used anthony from AC Bins to inspect and collect great service always him

datsfun

Club Member
Yes I bought a rally car in two weeks ago , 5% duty on the car make sure you have an original registration document , as without it whole world of pain . I have used anthony from AC Bins to inspect and collect great service always him

Amazing.

Did the agent/ Anthony make the NOVA declaration and get you to confirm it was not a modified car?

Healey 12

Club Member
Hi #, yes they will do all the paperwork for you if you ask . They paid the import duty for me and I paid them . I didnt know the exact modifications of the car so left it to them to do the declaration . They have brought a couple in for me exactly the same no hassle and delivery to my door 07900 246 828 or check them out on there website , https://acbinns.com/

Nmd14

Club Member
Thanks Guys,

FYI I spoke to "My Car Import" and they said they would be 90% sure a 1985 325i rally car would make it under the 5% tariff, particularly if the original engine was still in situ. For anyone interested they quoted £2,233 to bring a 325i back from Holland, to MOT and register it and then to deliver it to my home. For a 1970 2002 ti from Portugal, their quote was £2,884 to register it and deliver it to my home (no MOT).

I'll give AC Bins a call and then need to decide between a 325i and a 2002 ti.

Cheers, Nick D.

Robbie J

Club Member
For my US import I just got a MOT there was no inspection (it was stock anyway). Hallie's arrived and he car was inspected but I think they where checking that its a similar to stock and it was a brief inspection. ie if it has the same axels, generation of the same engine etc it would be OK

chojna

Club Member
Pretty same money you are looking for exporting car to europe now.
Just tried to export my datsun on trailer amount of paperwork and fees is over £1000.